• Proofread and edit documents—both print and online—prior to publication, distribution, and/or posting. Proofreading and editing includes checking grammar, spelling, word choice, consistency, and conformity to established LRS and department standards and style, as well as verifying data and calculations. Attention to detail is imperative, as is the ability to assess the document as a whole.
• Design and produce reports, brochures, and other print documents in-house. Coordinate with administrative assistant in the production of print materials as needed.
• For research projects, enter and verify data using spreadsheet, database, and online. With guidance from and in collaboration with LRS staff, analyze data, produce charts and graphs, and write explanatory narrative for statistical reports.
• Aid in the administration of the annual surveys of public libraries and school library media centers and other surveys/studies as needed. Create and manage databases of study participants. Inform respondents when surveys are online, monitor and assess response rates, and answer questions from respondents to clarify survey contents or procedures.
• Assist LRS staff in conducting evaluations of State Library projects and services, including producing the monthly CSL Workshop Evaluations reports. Duties include data entry and compilation, producing charts/graphs/tables, and writing narrative using established report format.
• Provide statistics for annual reports and other official reports and documents. In collaboration with unit staff, compile data, produce charts/graphs/tables, and write narrative.
• Provide customer service to internal and external clients including assisting them in the use of the unit’s varied online surveys, services, and tools. Customer services duties include, but are not limited to, troubleshooting problems, answering questions, facilitating the use of online data analysis tools, and aiding in the posting and editing of job listings on Library Jobline. As needed answer email, phone, and written inquires.
• Assist with all LRS communication efforts including dissemination of electronic and print publications and social media efforts.
• Update web pages including adding new pages, uploading content, and modifying existing pages. Perform requirements testing on websites and online tools providing feedback on all aspects of usability, as well as identifying errors.
• Create, organize, and maintain shared print and electronic files necessary to the efficient and timely performance of duties by LRS staff.
• Work cooperatively with LRS, CSL, and CDE staff members to insure the smooth operation of the State Library office.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in library science or related field, including but not limited to, education, psychology, sociology, statistics, and research methods.
• Superior proofreading and editing skills, including checking report narrative and basic verification of data and calculations. Requires an exceptional eye for detail.
• Skilled in working with numerical data, including basic data analysis, creating charts and tables, and using data to illustrate research findings.
• Strong computer skills, including a high proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, and Internet resources.
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with a variety of colleagues, and internal and external clients.
• Good judgment and a willingness to ask questions to ensure high quality work.
• Superior written and oral communication skills.
• Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Power Point, Survey Monkey, MySQL, NVivo, and SPSS.
• Experience with document production and publication, including graphic design.
• Previous experience working with data and statistics in a library, non-profit, education, research, or office setting.
• Proven project management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time.
• Interest in social media and its appropriate professional applications.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please email a completed Colorado Department of Education Employment Application, letter of interest, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To obtain a Colorado Department of Education Employment Application, visit our website at http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/HR/jobs.htm.
All materials submitted should be current and specifically address the qualifications for this position.
Hard copies of application materials and application materials sent via mail or fax will not be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: Applicant materials must be received by 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, September 4, 2012.
See CDE website at: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/HR/jobs.htm
The Library Research Service (LRS) is an office within the Colorado State Library (CSL), a unit of the Colorado Department of Education (CDE).
Job application instructions: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/HR/jobs.htm
Official job posting: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/download/1516-ResearchAssistant.pdf
Library Research Service: http://www.lrs.org/
Information about Colorado: http://www.colorado.gov/