The Big Horn County Library Board of Trustees is seeking a person to fill the position of Library Director who oversees and advocates for our Branch Libraries in Basin, Greybull, Lovell, as well as several community libraries that serve the people in Big Horn County, Wyoming. Big Horn County is located in the Big Horn Basin with access to the Big Horn Mountains and other nearby recreational opportunities.
Our library system is gifted with outstanding and experienced librarians and staff who are ready to work hard with new leadership to bring our residents new and innovative library experiences while maintaining the quality services and programs they have come to expect. We are seeking an energetic, politically savvy and diplomatic individual to work with us as we build ties and relationships in our communities and promote libraries and library values to the general public.
Under the supervision of the Library Board of Trustees the director is responsible for the effective operations of the library system and the development and implementation of its service programs to include, but not limited to, the following responsibilities:
1) Assist the board with long-range planning, budget and policy development and managing all library resources and personnel.
2) Seek, manage and expend library funds according to established guidelines, and maintain accurate records showing the status of library finances. Perform bookkeeping duties to include management of accounts, payroll and preparation of the annual budget with the assistance of library board of trustees, branch librarians and a professional bookkeeper.
3) Recruit, select, hire, train supervise, evaluate and terminate library staff in conformity
with library policy, state and federal laws.
4) Manage and organize the acquisitions, access, storage, and control of collections.
5) Design, implement, and coordinate services and programs for patrons of all ages.
6) Oversee the maintenance and safety of the library buildings.
7) Serve as primary representative of the library system by developing and sustaining
positive public relations with patrons, donors, volunteers, teachers, community organizations, businesses, and city/county officials.
8) Attend monthly meetings with Board of Trustees and with County Commissioners as requested or required.
Skills Required: In addition to library and/or business operations and administrative knowledge and skills, the following are essential professional skills required.
1) Excellent interpersonal, leadership, public speaking, customer service, and problem-solving skills, with a positive attitude.
2) Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information in verbal and written forms, and in group or public speaking situations.
3) Proficiency in QuickBooks, other computer reporting systems used in our Library system.
3) Ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, donors, patrons, governing boards, community groups, elected officials, peers and colleagues.
4) Knowledge of ALA guidelines and procedures, public library philosophy, principles, standards, ethics, and operating procedures.
5) Ability to effectively recruit, motivate, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteers, make sound decisions, and delegate responsibility in a productive, efficient manner.
6) Ability to identify priorities, develop goals and strategies to achieve them, meet deadlines, assess patron/community needs and provide quality library services.
7) Willingness to travel to state and regional library conferences and professional trainings, demonstrate an willingness and desire to seek knowledge on current trends in library administration/management services, and information and technology.
Direct Questions to: Applicants should submit a letter of introduction, professional references and resume to:
The Big Horn County Library System provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals in all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age disability, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law and in compliance with EEO/ADA policies.
Required Education: MLS and public library experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Experience: Professional Experience: 5 years
Applicants should submit a letter of introduction, professional references and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Horn County Library System: http://www.bhclibrary.org/