BROAD SCOPE OF POSITION: It is the mission of the Pikes Peak Library District to seek, engage and transform lives through library services and resources that enrich individual lives and build community. This position operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill PPLD’s mission by providing reference service to the public using a comprehensive knowledge of Library Science, PPLD collections, electronic databases, current technologies, and community resources.
- Serves as person in charge. Works closely in partnership with the Community Library Manager to ensure the smooth operation of the Community Library.
- Works on the public service desks providing reference service to walk-ins, over the phone, via email, and instant messaging; and provides circulation service.
- Assists and instructs patrons through material and on-line searches, computer software applications, reference/in-depth research, community referrals, and outside sources/collection.
- Provides in-depth assistance and information about the library’s services and procedures
- Searches a variety of reference resources
- Provides readers’ advisory services
- Maintains confidentiality in all patron and staff interactions
- Develops overall workflow and bi-weekly work schedules; verifies and approves timesheets. Supervises, coaches, trains, and evaluates staff, substitutes, and volunteers; interviews, selects and hires staff; terminates staff as required. Maintains personnel records; authorizes employee reimbursements from petty cash.
- Collaborates with Community Library Manager regarding annual Community Library budget needs and monitoring expenditures.
- Liaison to Community Library Friends. Communicates Friends activities and budget discussions to Community Library Manager.
- Promotes library services through community outreach and partnerships, library tours, demonstrations, talks and displays.
- Uses computers, printers, TTD, fax, CD ROM and other business equipment. Demonstrates competency in use of computer software and hardware, troubleshooting and use of other office equipment.
- Promotes library services through tours, demonstrations, talks, and displays
- Assess patron needs providing programming and collections suitable to the community.
- May teach computer classes for the public and PPLD staff.
- May direct merchandising activities (displays, bulletin boards, etc.).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986)
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice, in accordance with Colorado law
HR Contact Information
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org on the JOBS/VOLUNTEERS tab
2. Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333, Ext. 1254.
Requires an essay response. In order to be considered as a qualified applicant for this position, you must write and submit a typed and double-spaced essay (250-300 words), in response to the following question:
"What do you think the fundamental purpose of a manager is? How does the purpose relate to a 21st century library?"
Applications that are submitted without the above requested essay will not be considered for this position. Include the essay when applying online.