Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Instruction (20%)
- Prepares and presents library tours, orientation programs, and tailored bibliographic instructions
- Works collaboratively with faculty to develop student information literacy skills
- Serves as a member of the Embedded Librarian program providing instruction and research assistance for roughly 20 courses per term
(2) Reference (20%)
- Staffs the Information Desk approximately 15-20 hours per week, fielding in-person and electronic (via chat, text, email, etc.) inquiries
- Provides general and subject-specific reference assistance to patrons including assisting patrons with the selection and use of appropriate databases and print resources to meet their research needs
- Troubleshoots computer and printer related problems
- Develops and updates course specific, subject and research LibGuides
- Updates and maintains the Library’s LibAnswers database
- Develops and maintains subject expertise and ongoing familiarity with existing and emerging print and electronic information sources in the subject areas taught at Johnson & Wales University
(3) Supervision of Student Employees (20%)
- Makes hiring decisions and schedules student employees (approximately 15-20 per year) to ensure adequate coverage of the Check Out Desk during all hours the library is open
- Develops and implements effective training programs
- Provides oversight of the day-to-day work of students employees
- Develops shelf-reading assignments for student workers; oversees completion of assignments
- Reviews and signs timecards
- Conducts annual performance evaluations for student employees
- Provides counseling and/or discipline when problems arise
(4) Serials Management (20%)
- Manages the check-in process for all periodical materials
- Resolves problems relating to subscriptions, duplicate shipments, payment verification, etc.
- Investigates data received from claims reports relative to subscription issues not received
- Supervises the preparing, sending and receiving of binding shipments
- Trains staff as necessary in the use of automated serials system
(5) Circulation and Stacks Maintenance (10%)
- Performs routine circulation tasks such as registering and updating files of borrowers; interpreting status of patron accounts, checking in and out library materials, assisting patrons with inquiries regarding availability and status of items in collections, and assisting users regarding circulation and borrowing services.
- Coordinates, organizes, and supervises all aspects of the overdue process. Runs daily overdue notices and bills. Accepts payments for fines and bills. Acts autonomously to resolve patron disputes over fines. Coordinates with the Registrar’s Office to handle unpaid fines and bills.
- Oversees library security, resolving security infractions by halting the action, explaining library policies, and/or reporting serious infractions to the Director of the Library
- Trains staff in use and operation of the circulation module
- Oversees the management of the stacks including the shelving, shifting, and shelf-reading of materials
- Searches the stacks for books reported missing or billed for replacement
- Conducts biennial inventories of the collections
(6) Miscellaneous (10%)
- Opens and/or closes the library on designated days
- Contributes to and monitors the Library’s various social media outlets
- Organizes and participates in Library events and activities
- Participates in the strategic planning and policy decisions of the library
- Other duties as assigned
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Must be exceptionally reliable and able to work independently with minimum supervision.
The work schedule consists of a four day work week. Hours are Sunday - Wednesday 12:45p-10p during the academic year. Hours vary during student breaks and summer months.
Preferred start date: August 4, 2014.
HR Contact Information
If you are interested in joining the team at Johnson and Wales, send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Library Services
Johnson & Wales University
Denver Campus Library
7150 Montview Blvd.
Denver, CO 80220
When applying for this position, please mention that you saw it on the Colorado State Library Jobline.
During the training period which runs until fall classes begin, candidates will be required to work Monday - Thursday 7:30a-4p.