About the Organization:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences.
The NCAR Library User Experience Specialist is responsible for coordinating the Library’s user experience efforts and initiatives for both its online and physical library environments. Working collaboratively, the position leads needs assessment and outreach efforts to deliver a robust and exceptional online user experience of the Library, helping to develop the interfaces and portals that provide access to the Library’s collections and services, including the library website and the institutional repository. This new position will forge relationships with the Library's user communities, and based on input from these identify and prioritize constituent needs as they pertain to the Library, its services and tools. As a member of the NCAR Library Information and Research Services team, this position will have some reference and access services responsibilities, including bibliometrics and citation analysis.
User Group Engagement: needs assessment, outreach, and patron education
- Recommends, develops, and implements new user education and outreach programs to be offered by the Library.
- Actively seeks partnerships internally with NCAR/UCAR organizational units, labs and programs, and collaborates with external partner institutions.
- Conducts needs assessment and leads activities for user focus groups representing the various library stakeholders. Collects and analyzes input from a broad spectrum of partners and stakeholders to ensure that the Library’s services and spaces support a wide array of user needs within the broad research and education mission of NCAR/UCAR.
- Utilizes user group input to help guide the creation, development and implementation of innovative services available through the NCAR Library, its website, its content management systems and the institutional repository.
- Identifies and evaluates how various constituencies, including researchers, administration and staff, interact with the Library services and spaces, and develops a cohesive approach to the full spectrum of Library user experiences.
- Leads and supports grant writing activities related to new user services or expanding or understanding existing services.
User Experience: web portal development
- Coordinates with Library leadership, technical staff, and users in redesigning the library web portal to improve library branding and access to online resources and services.
- Designs, develops, revises and updates website layout and content. Maintains and analyzes website statistics to ensure site functionality and help troubleshoot access issues or other problems.
- Analyze the Library’s web presence generally, and provide input for user-centered interface enhancements.
- Actively maintains technical knowledge related to user-centered design, the development of digital library interface capabilities, and usability in libraries and library systems.
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration and partnerships for digital initiatives internally and externally.
Support for information services
- Supports the citation analysis for scholarship, data, and other research information management needs of NCAR/UCAR administration. Coordinates bibliometric and other research impact analysis projects for grant applications, literature reviews, staff recruitment and reporting requirements for the NSF and other sponsors.
- Develops strategies to assess the effectiveness of library services, spaces, and operations. Advise and coordinate with Library leadership on technology needs.
- Instructs users on various library interfaces, including access portals for print and digital resources as well as electronic databases.
- Participates in providing information services including circulation, document delivery and reference.