The Nielsen Library at Adams State University is seeking an enthusiastic Learning & Engagement Librarian to lead an innovative information literacy program serving a diverse student population. The successful candidate will employ his or her knowledge of information literacy standards, instructional design principles, and assessment methods to develop a successful, student-centric library instruction program.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
● Coordinates and implements the library’s expanding information literacy program. In collaboration with library staff, instructional faculty, and others, assesses student information literacy needs and develops creative and effective models for delivering instruction and measuring learning outcomes.
● Leads the development of outreach efforts to engage the student community.
● Leads first-year library instruction sessions and works with the library liaisons to develop instruction sessions for upper-division courses.
● Teaches library research-related academic courses for credit as an adjunct instructor.
● Provides reference services in person and online, with some nights and/or weekends required.
● Acts as a liaison to one or more academic departments and participates in collection development.
● Serves on campus, regional, and state committees.
Candidates should demonstrate that they possess (a) a commitment to student-centered instruction, (b) a passion for mentoring and teaching a diverse student population, (c) a commitment to furthering the university’s mission of Inclusive Excellence, and (d) a vision for expanding programs and other initiatives. The department offers access to a mentoring program, professional development opportunities, and the opportunity to develop experience with all aspects of a small academic library’s programming and operations.
The Nielsen Library supports all academic activities at Adams State University through creative stewardship and development of information resources, academic programming, welcoming and supportive learning spaces, and collaborations with students, faculty, staff, and community members. The Library is a Student Success oriented facility comprising Library Services as well as several Student Support offices including general advising, career and community engagement services, TRiO, academic tutoring and testing, and other academic success programs. ASU has been conducting an extensive review and redesign of its undergraduate curriculum and the Library is playing a critical role in this process. The L&E Librarian will play a critical role in the Nielsen Library’s ongoing role in the new curriculum.
Located in the market town of Alamosa, Colorado, Adams State University is a state-supported Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Alamosa lies in the center of the vast San Luis Valley which is designated the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area ( http://sdcnha.org/js). Alamosa is located approximately 3.5 hours from Denver, 1.5 hours from Taos, NM and 2.5 hours from Santa Fe, NM.
The university is dedicated to fostering Inclusive Excellence, the recognition that the university’s success depends on valuing, engaging, and including the rich diversity of students, staff, faculty, and administrators. Given the university’s mission and student body composition, the department is actively seeking qualified applicants who have experiences, skills, and/or personal attributes that reflect perspectives that can further broaden our students’ educational experience. We will give preference to qualified applicants with experience in ethnically diverse settings, who possess varied language skills, a record of research and/or service that supports diverse communities, or a record of supporting a student population that includes historically underrepresented groups and other at-risk populations. Additional information about the university and the Nielsen Library may be found at www.adams.edu.
Candidates should electronically submit the following materials:
● A cover letter. Candidates should address how they would work in a multicultural classroom and university setting and contribute to the mission and vision of ASU
● A curriculum vitae or resume
● Name, title, and contact information for three professional references
● Copies of graduate and undergraduate transcripts with official transcripts to be provided upon hire
Send application materials electronically as PDFs to:
Rosanna Backen (Chair)
Applications submitted by January 22, 2018 will be given full consideration.
Rosanna Backen (Chair)
L&E Job Description: https://adams.edu/administration/hr/learning_engagement_librarian.pdf
Nielsen Library Home: http://adams.edu/library