Clearview Library District is looking for an Adult Services Assistant who is an avid reader, loves providing Readers Advisory services, enjoys working with adults and seniors, and appreciates crafting and teaching crafting skills to others.
Provide program support and assistance to the Adult Programming and Collections Librarian. Assist customers by responding to a wide variety of questions and requests. Assist customers in locating library materials. Builds partnerships in the community and staffs outreach events when needed. Helps customers with use of computers and other library equipment and software. Work is generally well-defined and performed under direct supervision. Position functions independently on routine work, but questionable cases and situations are referred to immediate supervisor. Assist other employees with routine or unusual tasks that may require the use of new approaches or independent thinking. Communicate with and serve a wide range of customers and constituencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and conduct programs for adults of all ages.
- Responsible for Lobby Stops at adult residential centers in the community, this includes performing reader’s advisory services and providing offsite circulation functions.
- Caters to the needs and interests of seniors in the community.
- Develop and monitor displays.
- Prepare and tidy up meeting rooms after adult programs.
- Support marketing and outreach efforts.
- Support library programs and group meetings (e.g., Summer Adventure Program, Windsor Reads, etc.) and help direct volunteers when requested.
- Based on customer requests or needs, suggest new materials for the library’s collection.
- Respond to customers’ written inquiries through email and print correspondence.
- Offer customer assistance on the use of computers, computer programs, databases, printing, scanning, electronic devices, and photocopier, and provide guest passes for visitors who want to use the public computers.
- May facilitate book discussion groups that meet in the library.
- Assist in maintenance of adult collections.
- Provide excellent customer service to all who use library services, whether in person, online, or by phone or at locations in the community.
- Provide suggestions to readers, assist customers on the use of the library catalog and on how to locate items on the shelves. Place unavailable library items on hold and/or request interlibrary loans for customers and staff.
Description of Community
Growing community in northern Colorado
Other Education Credentials
Requires a two-year college degree or equivalent coursework and/or an equivalent amount of library experience.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of providing library services to seniors.
- Knowledge of planning and facilitating craft programming preferred.
- Use of Microsoft Office products to create documents, letters and memos and to produce lists, labels and simple spreadsheets.
- Adept at computer, Internet, and photocopier use. Able to learn how to use other technologies.
- Some general knowledge of library reference databases, online catalogs (e.g., WorldCat, eBook access, magazine databases) and the internet.
- Demonstrated ability to think logically, exercise initiative, and act in the best interest of the library.
- Effective at working with a wide range of constituencies.
- Good oral and written communication and social skills.
- Public speaking skills.
- Team player.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HR Contact Information
Preference will be given to candidates who can work Tuesday nights until 8pm.
Must have personal vehicle to be used for lobby stops and outreach visits.
Library District website: http://www.clearviewlibrary.org