The Meriam Library seeks an Information Literacy Librarian to make a significant contribution to the library and to the teaching and learning environment at CSU, Chico. The Information Literacy Librarian will support an emerging program of outreach and instruction by providing information literacy and research instruction to undergraduate students in a variety of disciplines. The successful candidate will have a passion for teaching and be excited about providing instruction to lower-division undergraduates. This is a full-time tenure track faculty position and will require service on library and university committees and the pursuit of professional development opportunities and engagement in research. Early career applicants are welcome to apply.
The Information Literacy Librarian will design, teach, and assess information literacy curricula in a collaborative setting focused on improving teaching and learning at the Meriam Library. This assignment may include reference service and collection or liaison duties in designated subject areas.
Review of applications will begin on February 22, 2018. Applications received after this date may be considered.
Minimum Education and Experience:
• ALA accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science.
• Experience teaching in an academic library or higher education setting. Teaching experience accrued as a graduate student will be considered.
• Knowledge of assessment techniques of student information literacy learning outcomes.
• Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and analytically and to work in a collegial, collaborative, service-focused environment.
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities for this position
• Works with other information literacy and liaison librarians to develop and implement information literacy instruction across disciplines.
• Assesses the impact of instructional programs on student learning.
• Develops shared instructional materials in a variety of formats.
• Pursues outreach efforts to engage the students and academic community.
• Maintains currency in information literacy and instructional practices.
• Meets research and service requirements to attain tenure.
• Demonstrated proficiency with contemporary educational technologies.
• Demonstrated interest in conducting outreach and engagement efforts with students and campus partners.
• Experience working with first generation, non-traditional, or under-represented student populations.
• Familiarity with applying learner-centered pedagogy in information literacy instruction.
• Evidence of interest in or contribution to professional research activities.
• Experience with instruction in face-to-face and online environments, including the design of instructional materials and activities.
Contact & Special Recruitment Information
Position-specific questions should be directed to:
George Thompson, Hiring Committee Chair
Submit questions about your application packet to:
Phone: 530 898-5953
Benefits include 24 days of vacation (to a maximum accumulation of 40 days), holidays, 12 days sick leave, programs for health, dental, vision and life insurance, California State Retirement System and a taxable educational fee waiver program. The incumbents will hold the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Librarians in the California State University have full faculty status and are represented by the California Faculty Association. Faculty retention, tenure and promotion are based on demonstrated achievement in librarianship, professional development and contributions, and service to the profession, university and community.
More information about this position, and about California State University, Chico, is available at the link below.
CSU, Chico is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, students, and administrators. Our designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution positions us to intentionally identify, design, and highlight examples of anti-oppressive, inclusive teaching approaches grounded in a critical pedagogy that has the potential to transform the classroom. Persons with experience and scholarship directly related to helping CSU, Chico achieve the goals outlined in our Strategic Plan relative to diversity and inclusion are encouraged to apply.
ALA accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science.