Are you an innovative and dynamic Librarian looking for a leadership role in a idyllic community? Look no further! PCCLD has an opening for a Branch Manager Librarian for our beautiful Greenhorn Valley branch in Colorado City, Colorado! Greenhorn Valley is about 20 miles south of Pueblo and is comprised of Colorado City and Rye. It may just be the best kept secret of Colorado with its year-round beautiful natural sceneries!
The Branch Manager provides leadership in the Greenhorn Valley community library with focus on encouraging visits, circulation, program attendance and use of digital resources. The position manages staff and is accountable for achieving key results. The position works collaboratively with the management team on programming, services and change initiatives. Management of the facility, grounds and fiscal responsibility are key elements of this position.
Relationships: The Branch Manager reports to the Executive Director and manages a team of exempt and non-exempt staff. This position has overall responsibility for customer service at the branch; resolves escalated issues and addresses problems as they occur. The position works closely with other departments including support services. Builds relationships and partnerships in the community that support and expand library services, programs and events. Networks with peers and professional organizations to stay current on trends in public libraries and in relevant technology. The position provides excellent customer service demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively with people regardless of age, race, sexual orientation, ability level or background.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the overall administration of a community library including planning and oversight of the library’s operations, staff, facility and grounds.
- Tracks and analyzes operational data and statistics; creates financial, statistical and narrative reports on branch library operations. Makes presentations to library staff, the Board of Trustees and other groups.
- Participates in the development of the branch budget and annual goals. Develops projections for future needs in resources and staff to meet goals and objectives.
- Has overall responsibility for customer service for the branch. Ensures customer service practices are followed. Applies communication techniques to reduce tension in escalated situations. Responds to incidents to include enforcing policy, calling first responders if needed, writing suspensions or other corrective actions.
- Manages daily operations of the library within defined procedures and policies.
- Manages staff, participates in hiring, creates work schedules, communicates clear performance expectations and conducts performance reviews. Develops and monitors work improvement plans as needed. Handles employee relations issues with assistance from the Human Resources Department.
- Communicates with the Community Relations Department for marketing, publicity, and partnership initiatives.
- Works with Facilities to ensure that the building and grounds of the branch are properly maintained.
- Works with Collection Development to maintain a vital collection; facilitates the weeding process.
- Collaborates with other department managers and librarians to create efficiencies in programming.
- Acts as a liaison to maintain awareness of community events, interests and needs which avail themselves to current or potential library services and programs; attends community meetings to stimulate interest in the Library.
- Leads team efforts to maintain a safe and secure environment for customers and staff by maintaining awareness of surroundings and working in accordance with safety policies and procedures.
- Leads regularly scheduled department meetings. Attends All Staff Development Days and other training sessions to acquire new skills and to stay current on all information that is pertinent to PCCLD.
Stays current on trends that impact public libraries including technology trends.
- Reads daily organizational communications from intranet, e-mail, newsletters and print announcements. Stays current on all library services, programs and events throughout the district. Regularly accesses electronic time keeping, payroll and personnel employee access systems.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- May lead or serve on library committees and special projects.
- Occasionally is assigned to the role of Person in Charge (PIC) for the Rawlings Library including oversight of safety, building security and of the security guard on duty.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Education and Experience: A Master’s Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association is required. Two years professional level library experience and experience working with the public is required. Supervisory experience is preferred.
Description of Community
Pueblo is located in southeastern Colorado and is the most populous city of Pueblo County with roughly 150,000 people. One of the largest steel-producing cities in the U.S., Pueblo is sometimes referred to as the “Steel City”. The climate is enjoyable year round with outdoor activities available for every season. Located between rivers and mountains, Pueblo also offers visitors and residents scenic beauty in which to indulge.
Lake Pueblo and Other Water Recreation Lake Pueblo State Park, the most visited state park in Colorado, is an aquatic hot spot, with more than 60 miles of shoreline and 4,500 acres of surface water for boating and fishing.
Pueblo is a multicultural community at the confluence of the Arkansas River and Fountain Creek. Downtown's 1.5-mile Historic Arkansas Riverwalk Project serves as a centerpiece for the city's three-district Creative Corridor of galleries, cultural destinations and events. One such festival, the hugely popular Loaf ‘N Jug Chile & Frijoles Festival, celebrates Pueblo's famous green chiles. While there's definitely a sense of history here — Pueblo made Livability.com's Top 10 Cities for Historic Preservation list, the city enjoys contemporary recognition on both national and international levels as the home of Colorado State University-Pueblo (2014 NCAA Division II Football National Champions) and Professional Bull Riders, Inc.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership skills including the ability to plan, implement and influence others.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods and practices.
- Current knowledge of trends in libraries.
- Excellent communication skills necessary to establish and maintain good working relationships with library staff and customers; able to communicate well with people of all ages, demographics, ethnic backgrounds and ability levels.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to ease tense situations.
- Supervisory skills including scheduling work and managing performance.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to quickly learn and use a variety of computer equipment /programs, digital devices, e-resources and new technologies.
- Ability to conduct complex reference interviews, to analyze requests and to apply research skills to locate specialized information or provide customers with alternative sources.
- Ability to provide efficient, courteous public service and present a positive image of the library in attitude, appearance, and performance of duties.
- Ability to apply policies and use independent judgment within procedural boundaries.
- Ability to function under flexible and changing conditions.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds and push /pull a fully loaded book cart weighing up to 200 pounds.
Other Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings and weekends. Must submit to and successfully pass a criminal background investigation.
Opening Date: January 8th, 2018
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Type: Internal/External
Salary Range: $47,476.00 - $70,720.00
HR Contact Information
Apply on-line from our website: http://www.pueblolibrary.org/Employment
PCCLD website: http://www.pueblolibrary.org/Employment
Apply Directly: http://pueblolibrary.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=663355&job