Summary: Actively assists library customers with finding and using library resources, including the online catalog, public computers and variously-formatted materials. Maintains resource displays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Assists customers in locating and using library resources, including the online catalog, public computers and variously-formatted materials. Provides readers’ advisory to customers.
- Provides accurate informational and directional assistance to customers.
- Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties in order to proactively assist customers.
- May create, plan and implement story times for young children.
- May plan and implement public programs with assistance from volunteers and other District staff.
- Actively participates in merchandising library’s collections.
- Assists or may lead response to emergency situations including responding to customers in violation of the Library Use Policy.
- May assist with special projects and or programs both in - and outside the library.
- May perform all Person in Charge duties as needed.
- Performs collection maintenance duties including tidying and shelving.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including night and weekend shifts.
- Other duties as assigned.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including effective speaking, listening and writing are required. Must communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Experience working with children, knowledge of child development and ability to engage children strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of current and classic books, authors and illustrators for a variety of ages preferred.
- Ability to use a variety of library and information technologies including basic Internet searching required.
- General office equipment operations skills, including computer applications such as data entry, email, printing, file management and word processing required.
- Understanding of general areas of human knowledge, including arts, sciences, literature, as well as periods of history and geography preferred.
- Must possess superior customer service experience and skills.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and handle emergency situations preferred.
- Must be a self-starter requiring little supervision as well as cooperatively in a team environment.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university plus one year library or related customer service experience required. Technical knowledge and experience using downloadable materials preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
Certificates and Licenses:
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
- Work primarily in a library environment and sometimes in community settings.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines.
- Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- Work a varied schedule at various locations, including weekends and evenings.
Description of Community
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
Applicants must apply online by clicking on the following link:
Job Title: Hourly Library Assistant
Reports To: Digital Literacy Librarian
Location: Multiple Library Locations
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Salary Range: $19.25 per hour
Library District Website: https://www.poudrelibraries.org/
Library District Job Page: https://www.poudrelibraries.org/jobs/
Application Link: https://poudrelibraries.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=12