You are a collection development visionary with the courage to lead libraries into the future. You are passionate about our products, from streaming media to good old hard covers. You are not ashamed of your love for pop culture; from the newest Rihanna release to James Patterson prepubs, you know what’s hot and whose holds lists fill up quick. As an innovative leader, you channel that passion to the Collection Development team, creating a fun, inspiring environment for your staff. You are a fierce advocate for breaking down barriers, evaluating and evolving collection development processes to make things simple and intuitive for our customers and staff. You understand the importance of a popular-browsing collection that reflects our community and helps our customers fuel their curious minds.
Ready to join in a bold opportunity to help us take community library services to an entirely new dynamic realm?
Who you are:
- You are a voracious reader, listen to a diverse range of music, and love a good movie.
- You are tapped into the publishing world, constantly reviewing your Twitter feed and reading everything from Publishers Weekly to People Magazine and beyond.
- You’re excited about leading others in a changing environment.
- You are a lot of things to a lot of people – coach, leader, partner, and manager.
- You are an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal skills.
- You engage well with others and are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- You are approachable. People feel comfortable calling you with all kinds of questions.
- You’re a team player who thinks quickly on your feet.
- You are an active listener with lots of patience.
- You value technology as a tool, staying on top of new technology trends.
- You inspire fun in the people around you.
- You’re a rock star manager, overseeing the selection, cataloging, interlibrary loan and dispatch areas for our multi-branch system, ensuring our customers get the materials they love as quickly as possible.
- You use your trained eye and real data to help pick the stuff that people want to read/watch/hear – and you love it. You help identify trends to support our popular-browsing collection.
- You see the big picture; you understand there is a flow to the way that materials are located and displayed on the shelves to enhance the customer’s browsing experience.
- You think like an entrepreneur. You understand budgeting and what it takes to develop, oversee and actively manage the $2.5M collection development budget and run your department responsibly with a great bottom line.
- You lead the weeding charge, guiding the branches in their procedures to keep materials new, fresh and beautiful.
- You are a wizard of the virtual world; you manage all our electronic collections and vendors to include downloadables, streaming media and online resources.
- You are an explorer of the latest trends from the library and retail worlds and incorporate the best ideas in your department.
- You develop strong partnerships with our vendors to provide pre-processed materials that meet Anythink’s standards.
- You are a natural project manager, coordinating the people, resources and workflows needed to get
the job done.
- You were born for the stage, wowing small and large groups alike with your wit and knowledge about trends and innovations in the collection development arena.
- You always have customer service in mind, both to your internal and external customers.
- You are a genius at coaching your super-talented team honestly, directly, and consistently to achieve new levels of success.
- You are an active member of the leadership team in visioning and creating 21st century libraries.
- You collaborate with other departments and branches to support the collection needs of the district.
- You are a dynamic communicator with a positive and enthusiastic style who can build connections with staff, customers, community partners, and district leadership.
- You have great ideas to share on district committees and enjoy taking a leadership role.
- You embrace Anythink’s vision and can apply it to your daily operations and team.
- You do the right thing. Every decision you make and action you take is an opportunity to demonstrate our collective integrity.
Description of Community
We are guided by these shared values:
Compassion for our customers and each other
Passion for our product
Eagerness to learn
Everyone is creative
Optimistic attitude – we believe that anything is possible
Why Anythink? A job with Anythink is a chance to use your knowledge and experience to enable transformations every day. You will be instrumental in helping our customers have fun, whether they’re sitting by the fireplace with a newspaper, surfing the Internet, gaming in the teen room or learning something new at one of our many intriguing and entertaining programs. As you help and inspire others, you will also be inspired. This job will have you loving Monday mornings again.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Do you have what it takes?
- You have 4+ years of library experience, including 2 years in collection development for a multi-branch library system or bookstore equivalent experience.
- You have a bachelor’s degree; masters of library science preferred – or equivalent bookstore experience.
- You have significant experience with electronic acquisition systems.
- Experience using the Horizon Acquisition, Cataloging and Circulation System is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize effectively, adapt flexibly to changing priorities, and meet deadlines with a high-speed environment.
- You are tech savvy. You are computer literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, online resources and expert searching capabilities.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred.
- Foreign language selection experience preferred.
If you are interested in joining our team, please visit our Job Center on our website at www.anythinklibraries.org
Expect evening and weekend shifts as part of your schedule.
REMEMBER TO APPLY BY THE POSTING DEADLINE.
Please submit a cover letter and resume for this posting.
Your job will involve your being “on the move” in our libraries: You will stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
Job title: Managing Buyer (part product guru, part visionary, part detail dynamo)
Business Unit: Products & Technology
Hiring Pay Range: $56,472 to $70,590 DOE
Job Type: Full-time; exempt; benefited
Anythink Website: http://www.anythinklibraries.org