POSITION SUMMARY: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing a customer-focused program of services, materials, and outreach for a small branch library in an assigned cluster.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Directs daily operations for an assigned small branch library; provides direct public service; provides supervision and staff development for departmental or building staff.
- Provides excellent direct customer service and acts as a role model for library staff; presents a courteous, positive image of the library and maintains confidentiality in customer and staff interactions.
- Coordinates scheduling and broad programming initiatives with the Regional Library Manager and appropriate public service division heads.
- Develops local community partnerships; engages with local schools, businesses and organizations.
- Conducts ongoing analysis of community demographics and information needs; provides input to the Regional Library Manager and library leadership for the implementation of PPLD strategic goals and objectives.
- Works daily on public service desks providing reference and readers advisory service in person, over the phone and via electronic delivery.
- Interviews, selects, trains and develops new staff; provides coaching and corrective action as necessary.
- Conducts performance appraisals and develops goals and activities for individual and group staff development.
- Promotes library services through programming, outreach and partnerships within the community; acts as a liaison to schools, local government agencies, non-profits and businesses. Represents the Library at meetings and community events.
- In consultation with the Regional Library Manager, reviews workload statistics and recommends staffing allocations.
- Recommends and documents requests for annual budgets; prepares payment documents and monitors expenditures.
- Develops, documents and implements operating procedures for library staff; communicates and ensures implementation of PPLD policies.
- Responds to customer suggestions, comments and complaints in a timely, professional, and constructive manner.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Evaluates and manages the library collection in coordination with the Regional Library Manager and Collection Management.
- Prepares monthly activity reports.
- Serves as liaison to PPLD Friends of the Library.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Participates in special projects as assigned, including new service initiatives, grants or programs.
- Serves on district-wide teams.
- Encourages professional development of department staff through participation in community and professional organizations.
- Represents the Library District to community agencies and professional library organizations; speaks to interested groups as requested.
- Serves on local, state and national committees; takes an active role in library professional organizations.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of library services, innovative trends and best practices.
- Ability to exhibit leadership, sound judgment and professional demeanor in all situations; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Ability to supervise, plan, and coordinate the work of staff in order to accomplish library goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships within the department, with staff at all levels, community partners and the public at large.
- Demonstrates excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, the PPLD ILS system, along with standard office equipment.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Requires an MLS or MLIS degree.
- Requires a minimum of three years of library experience.
- Prefer supervisory experience.
- Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Description of Community
Colorado Springs is located at the foot of Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain. The city is the second most populous city in the state of Colorado. Colorado Springs is a place that offers something for everyone; with great educational institutions, abundant sunshine year-round, magnificent natural scenery, outdoor activities, the arts, and charming communities. U.S. News & World Report awarded Colorado Springs the number two spot in its “2018 Best Places to Live” list.
Pikes Peak Library District serves close to 700,000 residents in El Paso County, providing access to resources that are critical to the public, making it a vital force for individual and community transformation for 50 years. Our service area covers more than 2,000 square miles. PPLD is the second largest library district in the state of Colorado. Our 14 locations stretch north to Monument, south to Fountain, west to Cascade, and east to Falcon. Our newest, Library 21c, is a state-of-the-art facility with the Creative Computer Commons, Makerspace, Family Place area, Center for Public Media, Business and Entrepreneurial Center, a 400 seat performance and meeting venue, and more. PPLD’s 2018 General Fund annual budget is $32.1M with approximately 487 staff members (368 FTE). PPLD was recently named the #1 Best Workplace for an Extra Large Company in Colorado Springs by the Gazette, our local newspaper!