Action Staffing Solutions is seeking a contractor to provide cataloging and metadata preparation for print and digital publications in the BLM Library and related digitization project support.
Must have 3-5 years Library Cataloging experience and a Master of Library Science Degree (MLS or equivalent).
Cataloging will be performed for items currently in the Bureau of Land Management Library collection and for new items as they are published by BLM and/or acquired by the Bureau of Land Management Library. Materials to be cataloged are primarily monographs but also may include pamphlets and brochures, grey literature, offprints of articles, DVDs, and CDs. The Bureau of Land Management Library is acquiring an increasing volume of born-digital materials as well.
The Contractor shall conduct the following work:
- Become familiar with library systems, methods, holdings, and project goals.
- Refine a work plan including identifying priorities, milestones, and pace.
- Coordinate as needed and update status with the Bureau of Land Management Library staff regarding cataloging and digitization support.
- Communicate as needed with other contractors and vendors regarding cataloging and digitization support.
- Identify needs (for information, resources, supplies, etc.), develop recommendations, and communicate them to library staff and COR.
- Document recommendations for any new or revised procedures as well as decisions regarding the approval or rejection of each.
- Document quality control practices.
- Search uncataloged publications in the local catalog and OCLC WorldCat to determine BLM Library holdings, duplication, digitization status, and other information required prior to cataloging.
- Add or copy item information to the local catalog.
- Edit or add, produce, and export OCLC-MARC bibliographic records for import into the local catalog or to overlay minimal records already in the local catalog.
- Clone or edit current local bibliographic records to conform to full level record format and convert some serial records to monograph records.
- Update bibliographic records in local catalog to correct or add to records. Updates may include, but are not limited to: correcting or adding indicators and subfields; updating obsolete MARC fields; adding RDA components; correcting or adding subject headings; and adding digitization information, including all 856 fields with URL information for links to documents in Internet Archive and other sources.
- Review and revise existing authority records. Import new authority records and create new local authorities as needed.
- Produce spine labels and process cataloged print publications by attaching labels and property stamping.
- Shelve print items.
- Search selected items in the Access database used as an inventory of digitized publications.
- Prepare print and digital items for delivery to digitization vendor and track shipments.
- Download digital files from digitization vendor’s website and upload PDFs and metadata to CONTENTdm.
- Perform quality control on digitized items.
- Submit requests to digitization vendor for editing current records, such as revision of titles derived from serial records.
- Assist in tracking and returning publications borrowed from other BLM offices for digitization.
- Experience performing complex copy cataloging and original cataloging.
- Working knowledge of cataloging standards and formats, to include OCLC-MARC, AACR2, and RDA.
- Experience in subject analysis, searching and assigning Library of Congress Subject Headings, and using Library of Congress Classification to classify and assign call numbers.
- Experience using the cataloging module of an integrated library system and OCLC cataloging interfaces.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills, verbal and written communication skills, and a keen attention to detail.
- Experience using the EOS.Web integrated library system.
- Experience using the CONTENTdm content management system.
- Experience using Microsoft Access.
- Must have great attention to detail
- Master of Library Science degree (MLS, MLIS, or equivalent).
Hourly Rate: $22.86/hr.
Health & Welfare $4.41/hr.
Paid Holidays and Sick leave
Medical, Dental, and Vision
Other Education Credentials
Master of Library Science Degree (MLS or equivalent)