The University of Colorado Libraries welcomes applicants for a Government Information Intake Specialist. In this role you will be responsible for processing incoming shipments of federal, state, and international government documents and assisting with specialized government document inventory projects. You'll perform item conversion or "iteming" of uncatalogued government documents and be a liaison to the University Libraries' Acquisitions unit. You'll also maintain close communication with the Libraries' Metadata Services Department-Serials Acquisition Unit, following their cataloging policies and procedures. You'll be responsible for organizing and updating the documentation of the Government Information work unit, ordering and distributing IRS tax forms, retrieving and distributing mail, retrieving and distributing office supplies for the Government Information unit, answering basic reference or directional questions on the telephone, and covering some basic tasks in the absence of student employees (shelving, tattle-taping, searching for documents in the book stacks etc.).
What your key responsibilities will be:
Government Documents Intake
- Receive shipments and shipping lists from the U.S. Government Publishing Office, the state of Colorado, the United Nations, and other governmental and intergovernmental entities.
- Process government documents according to Federal Depository Library Program and other established procedures, claim missing items, and forward incoming federal, state, foreign, or international documents to the appropriate unit for additional cataloging when needed.
- Train students in basic routine processing of government documents.
- Liaise with the University Libraries' Acquisitions unit and maintain close communication with Serials Acquisitions and Cataloging staff in the Metadata Services department.
- Maintain awareness of the Federal Depository Library Program and the U.S. Government Publishing Office's guidelines and procedures for processing shipping lists.
Government Information Office Management
- Edit, organize, and update the Government Information unit's internal documentation (via local intranet or wiki).
- Order, organize, and distribute IRS tax forms.
- Answer the shared Government Information unit phone line and direct calls to the appropriate employee or provide basic directional guidance.
- Retrieve and distribute the Government Information unit's incoming mail. This may include arranging for delivery or retrieving larger boxes and shipments of documents.
- Provide coverage for basic tasks completed by student employees in their absence; including shelving or shifting documents, applying tattle-tape to documents, or searching lists of documents in the stacks among other tasks as assigned.
Government Documents Item Conversion
- Perform basic retrospective copy cataloging and item conversion or iteming (attaching item records to existing catalog records).
- Help identify priorities for item conversion of uncatalogued government documents.
- Communicate closely with the Metadata Services department liaison to the government information unit and ensure compliance with current cataloging policies and procedure.
Description of Community
The University of Colorado Boulder Libraries are a dynamic partner in creating, disseminating, and advancing scholarship. We inspire learning, research, and discovery by connecting knowledge, information, and people.
We are the heart of higher education, providing essential scholarly resources, user-centered services, and inclusive spaces to the University, local, and global communities.
Other Education Credentials
What we require:
- Two years of experience in an occupational field directly related to the work assigned to the position. Appropriate and relevant education may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Must be a Colorado resident.
What we would like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Federal Depository Library Program and the Superintendent of Documents classification system.
- Relevant experience cataloging, shelving, processing, or working with government documents in a library setting.
- Copy cataloging experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience using Sierra ILS by Innovative Interfaces, or a related Integrated Library System or Library Management System.
- Experience using OCLC.
To apply, please submit the following materials to the following link: https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Government-Information-Intake-Specialist/11535?
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part-time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts. You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
HR Contact Information
Boulder Campus Human Resources