An employee in this position is responsible for providing advanced library services to customers at the Information Service desk. Responsible for the supervision, training, and scheduling of staff. Prepares and presents programming for adult and all-ages audiences. May act as Person-in-Charge in absence of branch manager.
- Staffs a public service point and provides immediate customer assistance
- Performs proactive reference; answers complex customer questions about information and technology resources
- Performs intermediate troubleshooting of library equipment
- Trains the public in the use of library resources and equipment, including online catalog and databases
- Resolves intermediate customer complaints; refers more complex issues to branch manager or Information Services Manager
- Knows, enforces, and interprets rules governing the use of the library
- Provides in-depth readers’ advisory services
- Staffs the online chat reference as assigned
- Provides one-on-one instruction/training for customers on an appointment basis (Book-a-Librarian)
- Prepares, presents, and schedules classes on basic and intermediate computer skills for the public
- Prepares and presents programming for adult and all-ages audiences
- Hosts and facilitates library book clubs
- Hires, supervises, trains, evaluates, and schedules assigned subordinate staff
- Participates in collection maintenance, including weeding and discarding items and identifying and recommending replacement titles and new materials
- Serves as a working member of councils and committees as assigned (adult programming committee, online presence team, innovation review team, information services council, e-resource and database team, etc.)
- Prepares and presents training for staff on work-related topics (fundamentals of reference, database searching, readers’advisory, new technology, etc.)
- Participates in publicity and marketing of library resources and events
- Assists in creating and maintaining branch displays of library materials
- Writes library-related newspaper columns
- Creates brochures and bibliographies on library resources
- Performs outreach to community groups and organizations
- Hosts and facilitates library book clubs
- Assists in compilation and reporting of statistics
- Acts as key holder/Person-In-Charge in absence of branch manager or department manager
- Keeps up with current trends and issues in librarianship via professional reading and participation in library-related listservs, webinars, etc.
- Attends off-site professional workshops, training, and conferences
Description of Community
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
Other Education Credentials
Trainee applicants must have completed at least 75% of required course work towards a MLS and submit a letter from the dean of the library school that states the number of credit hours already obtained and that the candidate can complete all master's degree requirements within twelve months.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Selected applicant must have or obtain, and maintain a valid North Carolina driver’s license with an acceptable driving record; must have access to transportation; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Contact Ms. Dagmar Aerdelman at (910) 483-7727 extension 1305, fax: (910) 486-5372, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at (910) 678-7653; Library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/
HR Contact Information
Cumberland County Human Resources Department, Reesa Eastman (910) 323-6101
job posting on the library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/content/employment-opportunities
application link on County website: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm