Overall Job Objective
Under general supervision, to provide library patrons with a high level of customer service and assistance in fulfilling circulation and/or information needs; to work with electronic access to the Internet, Library catalog and online databases using established procedures; and to perform related duties as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. At public desk, interacts with the public to assist with information needs. Provides training and/or personal service and catalog assistance in recommending and locating specific materials and/or information as situation demands. Maintains working knowledge of appropriate areas of responsibility in order to provide maximum customer service. Interacts with juvenile patrons, especially in the selection and use of library materials and during the Summer Reading program.
2. Processes materials in and out using the library's computer system.
3. Enters data on patrons, books and library materials in the computer system; updates information as needed. Processes meeting room applications and schedules them in the library's online calendar.
4. Processes local and Prospector (union catalog) holds and requests using established library procedures for hold shelf pickup.
5. Instructs patrons in library procedures and use of library materials, including library databases as well as downloadable audio and e-Books.
6. Assists with collection maintenance, including weeding, shelf reading, purchase requests, claims returned, reports of missing items, and evaluating patron donations. Processes and labels periodicals and enters item information into the library's bibliographic database. Evaluates damaged media items for repair or deletion, updates the corresponding catalog item records. Processes large-print collection rotation.
7. Assists patrons with their use of the Internet, word processing terminals and printing needs. Monitors patron usage of the internet to help provide maximum patron access to the internet.
8. Plan, schedule, promote and administer a variety of programs for children, teens and adults, including contacting, interviewing and coordinating necessary volunteers, performers, and employees, the design and production of necessary materials, purchase and organization of supplies, the scheduling of meeting space, and assisting other Library staff with graphics and the promotion of activities.
9. Creates informative and visually pleasing displays for the public's viewing. Schedules and coordinates monthly exhibits for library display case.
10. Responsible for monitoring the activities of library patrons to assure compliance with library rules, and for closing and securing the library at the end of the day, often in the absence of a manager.
11. Performs other manager-on-duty responsibilities at facility which may include the following:
12. Maintaining general awareness of and responsiveness to facility and program needs at all times.
13. Works with shelvers, volunteers, substitutes, and work-study students, and provides them with on-the-job training as needed.
14. Performs clerical duties including maintenance of electronic files. Collects money for lost and overdue materials, meeting room fees, book sale items, etc.
15. Interacts with the public and library staff to exchange routine information.
16. Communicates professionally with all age-level persons, either in person, on the telephone, or via email to conduct library business as necessary.
17. Operates equipment including photocopy machine, cash register, computer and barcode printers, and audio/visual equipment.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree and at least two years previous library experience. Or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Interest, desire, and ability to communicate courteously and effectively with and provide services to others, including the public, both in person and by telephone. Excellent interpersonal skills. Willingness to take direction and learn a variety of tasks. Good organizational skills. Well-developed keyboard skills. Familiarity with personal computers and appropriate software. Experience with data entry or electronic systems. Ability to work under minimal supervision. Willingness and flexibility to work a schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: In addition to the required minimum qualifications: Extensive customer service experience. Knowledge of library collection development and automated library circulation systems. Ability to communicate in at least one language other than English, preferably Spanish. Experience with Innovative Interfaces, Inc. automated library system. Experience with Prospector or similar InnReach borrowing system. Experience with scheduling, coordinating, and promoting varied children's and adult programs, preferably in a library setting.
Bachelor's degree and at least two years previous library experience. Or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Interest, desire, and ability to communicate courteously and effectively with and provide services to others, including the public, both in person and by telephone. Excellent interpersonal skills. Willingness to take direction and learn a variety of tasks. Good organizational skills. Well-developed keyboard skills. Familiarity with personal computers and appropriate software. Experience with data entry or electronic systems. Ability to work under minimal supervision. Willingness and flexibility to work a schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
City of Boulder
3065 Center Green Drive, Boulder, Colorado, 80301
WORKING CONDITIONS - Required Physical and Mental Effort, and Environmental Conditions:
Physical and Mental Effort: Partially sedentary and partially standing physical work in an indoor setting, requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 25 - 30 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, and walking. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate computer equipment and other office equipment. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permits the employee to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to move throughout the work environment and work in an office setting. Work may include extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions.
Work Environment: Works primarily in an indoor office environment. Works in a setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
Machine and equipment used in work include but are not limited to the following: Frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers,calculators,VCR/DVD player,video projector,telephone, copy machines, barcode and computer printers,eBook readers,digital cameras,and various audio-visual equipment.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive.