Knowledge plays a vital role at Hogan Lovells. The strategic purpose of the Knowledge team is to ensure that all those involved in delivering legal advice to clients have access to the knowledge and information required to deliver a technically excellent, efficient service; to devise new and innovative ways of sharing that knowledge with clients as part of client relationship management; to input knowledge into the firm’s continuous process improvement initiatives around legal service delivery; and to ensure that the firm is harnessing new technology to support those objectives.
The Research Services team forms part of the Knowledge function. The team supports the firm’s excellence in service delivery and quality, and supports the efficiency and effectiveness of our lawyers. The team are always abreast of the latest legal and business news and their experience enables them to add valuable commercial context to research requests.
The role reports to the Senior Research Services (Resources) Manager based in Louisville.
As a member of the US Research Resources team, the Research Services (Resources) Specialist works to provide smooth and continuous lawyer access to a portfolio of online and print legal and business research resources. The Specialist takes a lead role on projects and process changes as required. Core duties will include some or all of the following:
- Work closely with the Senior Research Services (Resources) Manager to identify and implement ideas for process and service improvement within the Research Resources function;
- Work closely with the Senior Research Services (Resources) Manager to lead project work relating to process change;
- Handle product purchase and renewal for a range of research tools (both online and hard copy);
- Carry out use analysis and recommend proposal terms to the Resources Manager, consistent with the firm's needs,collection management policy and cost management guidelines;
- Maintain positive vendor relationships to ensure best value renewal and pricing on the research product spend;
- Maintain accurate records of contracts, renewal terms and cancellations;
- Coordinate cost allocations and lead invoice and credit card payment processes;
- Respond to user queries and provide cross-functional support relating to resources, including user troubleshooting support and vendor issue resolution;
- Liaise with users as required to confirm research resource needs;
- Administer efficient and timely cost-recovery processes of online research databases, liaising with users where relevant;
- Administer user access to online products and firm password management tools;
- Ensure tax compliance processes related to the product spend are adhered to;
- All members of the firm are encouraged to participate in our Global Citizenship program;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Previous experience in a resources or technical services capacity, ideally in a legal or law firm environment;
- Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited school preferred;
- An understanding of the legal market and business landscape preferred, in particular a familiarity with emerging technologies and an appreciation for the changing role of research and legal information in the digital age;
- Knowledge and experience of Library Management Systems.
- Able to work independently following appropriate instruction and to take responsibility for the work product delivered;
- Excellent team player – collaborative and accountable;
- Organized with the ability to prioritise multiple competing demands;
- A strong customer service focus and high client care standards;
- Resilient, adaptable, resourceful and flexible;
- Professional, positive, self-motivated, disciplined and pro-active;
- Confident to interact professionally with a broad range of firm personnel, including attorneys and members of Business Services of varying levels;
- Confident about building relationships and functioning within a dispersed and truly global team.
Core Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:30pm, including one hour for lunch. Must be flexible to work overtime.
This job description sets forth the authorities and responsibilities of this position and may be changed from time to time as shall be determined.
Hogan Lovells is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or protected Veteran status.