An employee in this position is responsible for the supervision and scheduling of staff within the Information Services department. Coordinates/facilitates staff training at all branches as needed. Acts as branch supervisor in absence of branch manager. May be assigned system-wide responsibilities such as grant management or project development. May coordinate services and programs between branches. Participates in planning services in geographic area served by assigned branches.
- Hires, supervises, trains, evaluates, and schedules staff (permanent and temporary)
- Assigns duties for projects and day-to-day activities
- Oversees and coordinates the branch’s Book A Librarian service
- Compiles, prepares, and maintains reports, records, and statistics for the department
- Performs proactive reference; answers complex customer questions about information and technology resources
- Provides one-on-one instruction/training for customers on an appointment basis (Book-a-Librarian)
- Prepares and presents classes on basic and intermediate computer skills for the public
- Prepares and presents programming for adult and all-ages audiences
- Performs intermediate troubleshooting of library equipment
- Trains the public in the use of library resources and equipment, including online catalog and databases
- Resolves intermediate customer complaints; refers more complex issues to branch manager
- Knows and enforces rules governing the use of the library
- May host and facilitate library book clubs
- Provides in-depth readers’ advisory services
- Staffs the online chat reference service as assigned
- Acts as Librarian II Trainer for the library system, working with Library Learning and Innovation Coordinator to ensure all staff receive necessary training
- Prepares and presents training for staff on work-related topics (fundamentals of reference, database searching, readers’ advisory, new technology, etc.)
- Ensures all branch staff receive training and talking points for new or featured services
- Oversees, coordinates, and participates in collection management duties for adult reference, fiction, and nonfiction collections
- Assigns duties to staff for inventory of collection, weeding outdated/worn items, and recommending replacement materials
- Coordinates and supervises collection maintenance duties of IS staff
- Recommends new titles for the branch in assigned area of responsibility in accordance with collection development policies
- Serves as a working member and/or chair of councils and committees, and special services as assigned (i.e. adult programming committee, online presence team, Librarian II trainers group, innovation review team, electronic database team, etc.)
- As necessary, supervises staff and operations in the absence of the Branch Manager; Acts as designated Person in Charge on a regular basis
- Participates in publicity and marketing of library resources and events
- Writes library-related newspaper columns
- Creates brochures and bibliographies on library resources.
- Performs outreach to community groups and organizations
- Hosts and facilitates library book clubs
- Keeps up with current trends and issues in librarianship via professional reading and participation in library-related listservs, webinars, etc.
- Attends off-site professional workshops, trainings, and conferences
Description of Community
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
Other Education Credentials
Trainee applicants must have at least 12 months experience as a MLS professional librarian.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Six month supervisory experience preferred
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Contact Ms. Cathy Woods at (910) 483-7727 extension 1325, fax: (910) 486-5372, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at (910) 678-7653;
Library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/content/employment-opportunities
HR Contact Information
Cumberland County Human Resources Department, Reesa Eastman (910) 323-6101
job posting on the library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/content/employment-opportunities
application link on County website: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm
Library Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CumberlandCountyPublicLibrary/
Library Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/ccpublibrary