This is a remote position that will travel as necessary to LS&S locations.
Library Systems & Services (LS&S) is seeking a service-oriented Director of Integrated Library Systems who enjoys working in a diverse and customer-focused environment. The Director of Integrated Library Systems is responsible for the support and administration of the company’s integrated library system (ILS) that provides a variety of services including circulation, cataloging, acquisitions, and reporting.
The successful candidate is an organized, technically sound credible manager that is also a very responsive hands-on problem solver and has a propensity to get things done. The Director of Integrated Library Systems will work within a fast-paced and collaborative team environment, and have excellent skills in building relationships, communicating effectively, and serve the needs of others. This position will report directly to the Chief Information Officer and function with considerable independent judgment and initiative.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
• Directly manages the ILS software, database, and hardware including maintaining integrity and efficiency of its operation
• Maintain daily trouble-free operation of the ILS
• Serve as primary contact between the library and ILS vendor. Analyzes and documents problems, implements changes and recommendations, and consults with others to develop solutions
• Support users of ILS software and interrelated automated equipment
• Manage third party product integration with the ILS, including SIP, web services, custom software, and equipment that communicates with the ILS
• Identify opportunities for library automation, workflow improvements, and systems integration. Recommend the purchase of new products and services as needed
• Prepare system and users for new versions of software. In cooperation with the Staff Development Manager, trains staff in the use of new/updated software
• Maintain communications with library members and finds solutions for individual libraries’ problems
• Design and write supplementary or custom documentation
• Determine best practices for ILS system upgrades and software implementation
• Develop and configure ILS features for effective system performance in a large-scale environment
• Configure and manage system data loads and third-party software connections
• Develop and create recurring and on-demand reports for SILS agencies
• Manage system access in an Active Directory environment
• Troubleshoot system problems, escalate issues to vendor support when required, and implement and document solutions
• Document procedures and maintain current and relevant support-related information in the system-wide Knowledge Base
• Monitor industry trends and best practices related to information access and discovery and recommend improvements to existing tools and workflows as appropriate
• Work with stakeholders to improve services through systems refinement, enhancement, and innovation
• Provide management of statistical reporting and circulation functionality
• Act as a resource to the individual library systems when requested
• Other duties as assigned
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required
• At least five years of work experience with the Polaris ILS in a public-library consortium setting preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience
• ALA-accredited MLIS degree preferred
• Demonstrated knowledge relational database structure, Microsoft SQL Server 2014 and SQL Server Reporting Services
• Experience with T-SQL and stored procedures
• Basic understanding with Windows Server (familiarity with Linux would also be an asset)
• Basic understanding of HTTP RESTful APIs
• Basic understanding of internet protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, etc.
• Basic knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata schemas, standards, and best practices
• Knowledge of library catalog organization and standard library operating procedures and terminology related specifically to patron registration and materials circulation.
• Self-directed, flexible, and results-driven with a demonstrated ability to take initiative, collaborate, and deliver results in a timely fashion
• Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with clients and work in a creative and highly productive environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
Equal Opportunity Employer: AA M/F/Vet/Disability
LS&S is the premier and most respected provider of library management and data services to state and federal Government Agencies. We partner with our library clients to provide world class service and professional expertise; protecting their library investment. With a proven track record, we utilize a team approach - providing accountable, unique and responsive solutions to delight library users. With already over 80 locations across the United States, LS&S is on a rapid growth pattern with plans for expanding our business.
Company website: http://www.lsslibraries.com
Company career website: http://www.lsslibraries.com/careers