Supervisor: Head of Children’s and Young Adult Services
Salary and benefits:
● Grade 4 25 hrs/week ($16.09-$18.47/hr) including evenings and some Saturdays.
● Benefits including health insurance, sick time, vacation time
If you have a passion for public libraries and expanding library access for everyone, then Forbes Library, Northampton's public library, wants to hear from you. We’re currently looking for a creative person to work in youth and adult public services. This position requires a commitment to providing excellent customer service, an attention to detail, and technology and organizational skills. The ability to interact with the public in a patient, kind, and friendly manner is paramount. The position is part of a supportive and highly collaborative team, and helps to create a welcoming library for all. Forbes Library fosters an inclusive environment and prioritizes hiring, mentoring, and developing library staff that reflect the diversity of the Northampton and area community. This position is an excellent entry-level opportunity for someone interested in librarianship to gain experience working in multiple departments in a busy downtown library.
Public Services - Provide services to library patrons of all ages.
This may include, but is not limited to:
● Library card registrations and account questions
● Checking materials in and out
● Process InterLibrary Loan materials
● Creating and maintaining book displays
● Shelving library materials as needed
● Responding to reference and information requests and providing readers’ advisory
● Assisting patrons with electronic resources, reference, and circulating collections
● Troubleshooting copiers, printers, microfilm machines, and computers
● Providing one-on-one assistance to patrons using technology and information resources
● Supervising intermittent part-time staff and work study staff when needed
● Other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements:
● High School education required.
● At least two years of experience working with the public, preferably in a library setting, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Specific library experience is not required, and training will be provided to the right candidate.
● Familiarity with computers and ILS software (or equivalent or ability to learn)
● Creativity and self-motivation, independent thinking and initiative, strong communication skills and flexibility and adaptability to change.
● Knowledge of and interest in technology and social media.
Preferred Job Requirements:
● Bilingual with fluency in one of the following languages: Spanish/French/Arabic/ASL
● 2 years college-level education
Level of exertion from state definition: Light - Walking or standing frequently, using physical controls while sitting or driving, or working at a production rate pace with lighter materials (e.g., clothing). Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally; or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. Ability to work around dust, mold, adhesives and other potential allergens.
Closing date: August 25, 2021
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Benefits including health insurance, sick time, vacation time
Northampton is one of the top small arts cities in the United States and lies in the heart of the beautiful Connecticut River Valley. The city of just under 30,000 offers a vibrant downtown unique for its number of independent businesses and a lifestyle rich in cultural, artistic, and academic resources.
External Job Ad
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and names of three references to Sarah Johnson, Head of Children’s and Young Adult Services, via email at email@example.com.