Supervisor: Head of Children’s and Young Adult Services
Salary and benefits:
● Grade 5 37.5 hrs/week ($31,863-$39,167) including evenings and some Saturdays
● Benefits including health insurance, sick time, vacation time
If you have a passion for public libraries and expanding library access for everyone, then Forbes Library, Northampton's public library, wants to hear from you. We’re currently looking for a creative person to work primarily in our bustling Children’s and Young Adults Department. This position requires a commitment to providing excellent customer service, an attention to detail, and technology and organizational skills. The ability to interact with the public in a patient, kind, and friendly manner is paramount. The position is part of a supportive and highly collaborative team, and helps to create a welcoming library for all. Forbes Library fosters an inclusive environment and prioritizes hiring, mentoring, and developing library staff that reflect the diversity of the Northampton and area community.
Public Services - Provide services to all library patrons of all ages.
This may include, but is not limited to:
● Library card registrations and account questions
● Checking materials in and out
● Responding to reference and information requests and providing readers’ advisory
● Assisting in developing and presenting programming, including storytimes for babies and toddlers
● Conducting outreach at community events and in schools
● Creating and maintaining book displays
● Shelving library materials as needed
● Supervising intermittent part-time staff and work study staff when needed
● Other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements:
Two years college, one year experience working with children and families. Creativity and self-motivation, independent thinking and initiative, strong communication skills and flexibility and adaptability to change. Knowledge of and interest in technology and social media.
Preferred Job Requirements:
● Bilingual with fluency in one of the following languages: Spanish/French/Arabic/ASL
● Experience working in a public library or other setting with youth, and a strong background/interest in Children’s services, literature, and programming.
Level of exertion from state definition: Light - Walking or standing frequently, using physical controls while sitting or driving, or working at a production rate pace with lighter materials. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally; or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. Ability to work around dust, mold, adhesives and other potential allergens.
Closing date: August 25, 2021
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Benefits including health insurance, sick time, vacation time
Northampton is one of the top small arts cities in the United States and lies in the heart of the beautiful Connecticut River Valley. The city of just under 30,000 offers a vibrant downtown unique for its number of independent businesses and a lifestyle rich in cultural, artistic, and academic resources.
External Job Ad
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and names of three references to Sarah Johnson, Head of Children’s and Young Adult Services, via email at email@example.com.