Pikes Peak Library District
1175 Chapel Hills Dr, Colorado Springs, CO
Are you passionate about providing a great collection for library patrons? The Pikes Peak Library District seeks a Selection Librarian who enjoys interacting with staff, vendors, and patrons, while curating the adult nonfiction collection.
Position Summary: Supports the Library’s mission by guiding district-level acquisition of a robust physical and digital collection through engagement with staff, vendors, the community, and other libraries.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Selects material for the Adult Nonfiction collection, researches available materials, anticipates trends, analyzes usage, and proposes collection development based on information gathered.
- Assists in collection management by creating regular weeding reports, processing damaged materials, and evaluating requests for purchase.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements assigned projects related to organizational goals and objectives.
- Serves on project teams or committees.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all patron and staff interactions; models exemplary customer service behaviors for library staff.
- May support the library customer service mission by providing coverage of the public service desk.
- Responds to customer and staff suggestions, comments, and complaints in a timely, professional, and constructive manner.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Keeps informed about library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of library trends, processes and best practices.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with patrons, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates commitment to principles of intellectual freedom and all aspects of customer diversity.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, Integrated Library System, along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires an MLS or MLIS degree.
2. Requires a minimum of two years of library experience.
3. For some positions, experience in working with foreign language materials and/or
specialized formats and equipment is preferred.
4. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Ability to push a loaded book truck required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
SENIOR LIBRARIAN – COLLECTION MANAGEMENT - LIBRARY 21C
(40 hours per week, exempt) - Position # 220129003
DATE POSTED: September 24, 2021
LOCATION: 1175 Chapel Hills Dr, Colorado Springs, CO 80920
STARTING WAGE: $24.05 per hour - $30.08 per hour + full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week per the following schedule:
Monday – Friday : 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Application materials must be received by October 07, 2021 at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
§ are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to
the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
§ are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-Verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
§ may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
§ may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
§ must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
§ understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
External Job Ad
Soumya Gollapalli : email@example.com