The Arapahoe Library District is looking for a full-time Safety Specialist to work in various library locations throughout the district. This person will patrol the interior and exterior of the buildings, remain calm under pressure, and provide outstanding customer service to our patrons and staff. We are a progressive library with tools and toys that we love to share with our patrons. The Safety Specialist will help us monitor these assets, to ensure we can provide these for the entire community. Do you have at least 6 months of similar experience and enjoy helping others? Are you passionate about the library? Are you up for the challenge? Then we want to hear from you.
Title: SAFETY SPECIALIST (aka SECURITY SPECIALIST)
Location: Support Services, 12855 E. Adam Aircraft Circle, Englewood, CO 80112
Reports to: Supervisor, Safety
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
Pay Rate: $16.88 - $19.96
Purpose: To provide visible safety/security presence and overall asset protection to Arapahoe Libraries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
50% CUSTOMER SERVICE
Provides customer service to patrons by greeting patrons, giving directions, answering general questions about library facilities and policies, and monitoring the library for appropriate patron behavior in order to keep the library a safe and enjoyable service to use. Provides internal customer service by building professional relationships with staff, communicating with employees on safety, and providing visible safety/security.
Patrols library buildings and property by roving and building rapport with patrons and employees. Patrols with the mind set of customer service and de-escalating in order to keep the library a safe and secure place to visit and work.
20% ASSET PROTECTION
Monitors physical assets and patron behavior by monitoring property, securing facility after hours, notifying appropriate library staff for safety/security reasons, working with security vendors on security issues, monitoring security cameras and patrons in specific situations, completing and following up on incident reports, and monitoring trends in order to keep all library employees and assets safe.
Performs other related duties as assigned and requested.
- High School diploma, or equivalent such as GED.
- Six months to two years of similar or related experience such as asset protection, security, law enforcement, and/or customer service.
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to quickly travel between Library facilities as needed and have reliable transportation.
- Ability to maintain a positive, friendly demeanor and remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to professionally and calmly de-escalate situations.
- Ability to work with patrons of varying backgrounds.
- Certified in CPR, First Aid, and AED, preferred, or must have the ability to attain certification within 90 days of employment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, integrity, discretion and trust.
- Basic technology skills for Windows, and Outlook.
- The essential duties for this position are performed in an indoor office environment.
- Moderate noise (computers, phones, printers and patron interactions).
- Ability to work in confined areas.
- Ability to work both inside and outside in all types of inclement weather conditions.
Physical activities required to perform essential duties include:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50-75%of the time.
- Must be able to move around 50-75% of the time.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to carry up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to push and pull a cart weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop 25% of the time.
- Ability to walk and stand up to 100% of the time during shift.
- Long periods of sitting, remaining stationary, or moving around
This job description describes the general level of work being performed and is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties or aspects associated with the job, and may be amended anytime based on business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Inclusion and diversity are part of our values at Arapahoe Libraries.
Qualified applicants who represent the diversities of the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, Long-term disability, Retirement Plan, Time Off Programs (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
Established in 1966, the Arapahoe Library District serves more than 200,000 residents living in Arapahoe County. Arapahoe County and other major suburban counties make up the greater metropolitan area surrounding Denver, Colorado. The Arapahoe Library District operates eight branch libraries, including mobile library services, and a library at the County Detention Center, funded by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department. A seven-member Board of Trustees sets the library budget and determines policy.
External Job Ad
APPLY ONLINE at http://arapahoelibraries.applicantpro.com/jobs/ and select the position you are interested in. Click on “Apply Now” and create a login that will allow you to submit interest for any open position. You may also attach a resum