The Maury Loontjens Memorial Library in Narragansett is seeking a dynamic individual to oversee a very busy children’s room in our seaside community. The library provides services for over 15,000 residents, college students, senior citizens and visitors. Our library is known for friendly service with an inviting and welcoming setting.
As a department supervisor, the Youth Services Librarian will be responsible for both traditional and non-traditional services to children of all ages, young adults and their caregivers. Priorities are building and maintaining an engaging diverse collection of materials; developing, planning and promoting age appropriate programming for infants to young adults using a variety of formats; and building partnerships and providing outreach to local community groups, organizations and schools. Demonstration of a working knowledge for trends in children’s literature, youth services and the profession are important. The ability to attend professional meetings, training conferences and other continuing education experiences is a plus. The library director oversees this position.
Routine tasks for this position involves circulation duties, handling money, fulfilling patron requests, opening/closing procedures, processing materials and maintaining the collection. Physical tasks include lifting up to 15 lbs., sitting and standing for periods of time, using computers and other devices every day, moving furniture, performing light housekeeping duties and organizing the work areas.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Additional Info & Requirements
- Masters of Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association
- Professional library experience in youth services
- Supervisory experience and ability to work as a team
- Ability to work independently
- Strong customer service skills and confidence in working with the public in a busy environment
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent technology skills and experience required. Sierra experience preferred, but not required. Must be familiar with trends in technology for children.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Applicants can forward a professional cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: Patti Arkwright, Library Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.