The Patron Services - Reader Advisor position at the Colorado Talking Book Library (CTBL) aids print-disabled patrons in their selection of recreational and informational reading materials. CTBL serves the entire state and requires reader advisors to provide library information, materials selection, and technical assistance via phone, text, email, and in-person.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists patrons with library registration, new equipment, book selection, and general information primarily on the phone, but also using text, email, and in-person at the library.
• Works with patrons on reading interests and assigns books accordingly.
• Responsibilities encompass all aspects of patron services, including interlibrary loan and reference questions.
• Compiles monthly statistics.
• Provides technical support for patrons' use of digital download of audio books and the Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC).
• Keeps patron information confidential.
• Participates in outreach events.
• Works on-site at the Colorado Talking Book Library located at 180 Sheridan in Denver, Colorado.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
- Medical, dental, vision and dependent life insurance options. All with a generous employer contribution keeping employee costs as low as possible.
- Employer paid short-term disability and life insurance
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals
- Retirement through the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) www.copera.org
Additional Info & Requirements
• At least 1 year experience providing exceptional customer service
• A minimum of 1 year experience using the phone as a tool for communicating effectively with patrons or customers, e.g., library reference desk phone coverage or a call center
• A minimum of 1 year reader advisory experience, i.e., helping patrons find fiction and nonfiction books and magazines in a format that is accessible for them through direct or indirect means
• Enthusiasm and interest in promoting library service for readers with disabilities
• Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions
• Ability to work with diverse personalities
• Excellent demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work in a team and support co-workers in achieving excellence in customer service
• A cooperative, collaborative work ethos
• Demonstrated attention to detail
• Demonstrated experience working with technology, spreadsheets, and databases
• Ability to pass a background check