Do you hold a firm belief that statistics are fascinating? Do you often find yourself diving deep into data analysis to find the meaning behind the numbers? Do you enjoy making complex research results accessible to a wide variety of audiences? If so, we have the job for you! The Colorado State Library’s Library Research Service (LRS) has an opening for the position of Research Analyst.
The Research Analyst will lead a variety of research and evaluation efforts for and about libraries in Colorado and beyond – designing studies, analyzing the results, and presenting the findings in a variety of formats, ranging from scholarly journal articles to press releases. This person will also share her/his passion for data with the library community by providing training and professional development opportunities about evaluation in venues ranging from regional workshops to webinars to the national Research Institute for Public Libraries. The ideal candidate for this position…
- Believes that evaluation can transform library practice
- Has a strong background in statistical analysis, knowing which statistical methods are appropriate and how to correctly conduct data analysis using those methods
- Has superior writing skills and can make research findings understandable to a broad spectrum of readers
- Is an experienced trainer who can make data and evaluation topics accessible and interesting to lay audiences
- BONUS: Has an eye for design and experience creating infographics
In addition, the Research Analyst will serve as a mentor to the LRS Research Assistant about data and evaluation. As a mentor, the Research Analyst will help the Research Assistant understand statistical concepts, conduct research, and write accurately about findings.
• Conducts original research and analyzes available data to inform the library profession, educators, and decision-makers about topics crucial to library services in Colorado.
• Manages outcome-based evaluations of state library programs, including study design, instrument development, data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting.
• Makes regular contributions to print and web-based publications related to research and statistics about libraries and library issues.
• Provides training about data and evaluation to a variety of audiences, both expert and non-expert.
• In collaboration with LRS staff, designs and produces infographics and other innovative visual presentations of data.
• Works closely with the LRS Web Developer to provide online access to data and to manage web-based evaluation tools.
• Assists with the supervision of one LRS staff position (Research Assistant) when assigned by the Director or in the Director’s absence. Serves as a research mentor/coach to the Research Assistant.
• Responds to external research/statistics questions assigned by the Director or received in the Director’s absence. Responds to internal research/statistics questions from State Library or CDE staff.
• Plans and administers annual surveys of public and school libraries statewide. Recruits and convenes advisory groups, develops questions, oversees creation and testing of online questionnaires, announces surveys, monitors response rates, analyzes data, and fulfills reporting requirements.
• Stays current with the library profession through conferences, workshops, online learning, professional literature, etc. Actively participates in knowledge sharing with colleagues.
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Info & Requirements
Conditions of Employment:
- All offers of employment are conditional on a successful background and references check.
- Please be advised that CDE may choose to contact work references other than those listed on your application.
- Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Flex-time may be approved depending upon suitability.
- Position is Exempt from overtime and may require work outside of normal office hours.
- Selected applicant is an employee At-Will.
- Direct deposit of paychecks is required.
- Smoking is allowed only in designated areas outside the State Office Building or any other CDE office facility.
- Selected applicant must comply with the Colorado State Board of Education’s Drug-Free Workplace policy.
- As required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), the selected applicant must verify, within 72 hours of employment, his/her legal right to be employed in the United States.
- Master’s degree in library and information science or related field (e.g., education, social sciences).
- Graduate-level coursework in research methods and statistics.
- Experience conducting all parts of the research process including study design, instrument development, data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting.
- Minimum four (4) years related work experience (e.g., social science research, program evaluation).
- Experience using statistical analysis software (e.g., SPSS) and Microsoft Office.
- Experience demonstrating collegiality and a strong service orientation with co-workers, clients, and third parties.
- Knowledge of the principles of research design and statistical analysis.
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation, and training skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively about statistics with diverse stakeholders, including library researchers, practitioners, and the public.
- The ability and willingness to travel within/outside of Colorado up to 10% of work time.
- The ability to pass a background check.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Experience conducting outcome-based evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to provide training and work effectively with library staff.
- Experience working in libraries or related organizations.
We’re the Colorado State Library's Library Research Service, library lovin’ data folks who are passionate about helping Colorado libraries tell their stories backed up by research and statistics. Signature projects include the Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL), Fast Facts reports, Library Jobline, DART, and school library impact studies.
Please email a completed Colorado Department of Education Employment Application, letter of interest, and resume to email@example.com with the Position #9065 and Research Analyst in the subject line.
To obtain a Colorado Department of Education Employment Application, visit http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/HR/jobs.htm
All materials submitted should be current and specifically address the qualifications for this position.
Hard copies of application materials and application materials sent via mail or fax will not be accepted.
- CDE Employment Application
- Cover letter/letter of interest