POSITION TITLE: Library Specialist Substitute
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMP-3
SALARY: $10.90 - $18.30 Hourly
DEPARTMENT: Library & Arts
If you enjoy helping patrons, working in a fast-paced environment, trouble-shooting, working with your hands as well as with computer software, collaborating with co-workers as well as working individually, prioritizing tasks, and can keep up with our fast-paced and customer-service oriented libraries than this may be the right job for you! Please apply for the Library Specialist Substitute position at www.bouldercolorado.gov/human-resources/jobs.
OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under general supervision, to provide library customers with a high level of customer service and assistance fulfilling circulation and/or information needs, access to the Internet, library catalog and online databases, and to perform related duties as required on a temporary basis. Substitutes may be assigned to work at the Main Library, Youth Services at the Main Library or at the neighborhood branch libraries: The Meadows Branch, the George Reynolds Branch, the Carnegie Branch Library for Local History and/or the NoBo Corner Library.
- Must be able to work some evenings, weekends and some holidays.
- Must be available to reliably respond and work on short notice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves patrons at all public service points, including the accounts desk, the call center and through mobile service. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Provides remarkable customer service through active communication and interaction with all library customers (both external and internal).
- Assists patrons with ready reference and reader’s advisory needs; creates library accounts; accepts payments for fines and fees; renews library materials; troubleshoots library account problems and discrepancies in person, by telephone, online and by email and promotes services.
- Provides proactive mobile service throughout the library by educating patrons about the library’s collections, self-service features, and leading patrons to their desired destinations.
- Operates a computer to perform assigned duties. Operates, troubleshoots and assists patrons with the operation of computers, mobile devices, office equipment including, but not limited to photocopiers, printers, RFID pads and RFID reader equipment.
- Advises patrons in library procedures, use of library materials, including informational databases, electronic resources and encourages customer use of the library’s self-service equipment and features.
- Supports standard staff and security contractors who are responsible for monitoring the activities of library patrons to ensure compliance with library rules of conduct.
- Communicates professionally in person, on the telephone or by computer to conduct library business as necessary.
- Maintains composure and appropriate demeanor at all times and in all situations.
- Assists with library programming tasks as needed.
- Observes and adheres to the Boulder Public Library’s customer service model
- Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city.
- Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. Responsible for communicating the safety needs self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
- Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participating in required professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
The City of Boulder is committed to hiring employees who provide excellent customer service. Our employees act with a high level of integrity, and take responsibility for their words and actions.
City of Boulder employees strive to respect and appreciate each individual's differences, and to work effectively with all people and their diverse backgrounds. We support candid and honest interactions, which respect other points of view, and are sensitive to communication differences. We achieve organizational goals through inclusive problem solving, planning, and decision-making. Community partnerships are included in this effort.
(1) TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Hiring supervisor
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
(For all departments):
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of library training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job. Interest, desire, and ability to communicate courteously and effectively with and provide services to patrons both in person, by telephone, and electronically. Excellent interpersonal skills. Willingness to take direction and learn a variety of tasks. Excellent organizational skills. Well-developed keyboard skills. Familiarity with personal computers and appropriate software. Demonstrates knowledge and efficient use of a variety of library materials to provide excellent customer service. Adaptability and the desire to learn new resources quickly. Ability to work under minimal supervision.
Must be available to work on short notice. Hours may vary greatly depending on the needs of each department.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications
(For all workgroups):
Two years or more of library customer service experience. Knowledge of automated library circulation systems. Ability to communicate in at least one language other than English, preferably Spanish. Experience with Innovative Interfaces, Inc. automated library system. Experience with Prospector or similar InnReach borrowing system. Experience working with children in a library or educational setting: understanding childrens’ developmental stages and reading levels. Knowledge of current childrens’ literature. Working knowledge of popular informational databases. Experience with the Reference Interview.
WORKING CONDITIONS - Required Physical and Mental Effort, and Environmental Conditions:
Physical and Mental Effort: Physical work in an indoor setting, requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 25 - 30 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, and frequent walking and standing; sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes to move throughout the work environment. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate computer equipment and other office equipment. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permits the employee to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Work may include extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions.
Work Environment: Works primarily in an indoor office environment. Works in a setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
Machine and equipment used in work include but are not limited to the following: Frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, calculators, VCR/DVD player, video projector, telephone, and copy/fax machines, barcode and computer printers, tablets, e-readers, self-check machines, and various audio-visual equipment.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive.
Tucked into a picturesque valley below the iconic Flatirons, Boulder hosts thriving tech and natural foods industries, supports a renowned entrepreneurial community, has some of the region's best restaurants, and is home to many federal research labs and a world-class university. This Rocky Mountain town of approximately 100,000 people is a world-class destination.
O: # (303) 441-3255
3065 Center Green Drive | Boulder, CO 80301
Please apply at www.bouldercolorado.gov/human-resources/jobs. Applications will not be accepted via email.
This position closes on 11/06/2016 at 11:59 PM