Gain practical professional experience in a fast-paced academic library. The CU Boulder University Libraries is looking for two Research Desk Apprentices who will receive training in research competencies, staff the research desk in Norlin Library two evenings and one weekend day each week, participate in special projects under the mentorship of a faculty librarian, and explore issues relevant to new academic librarians. The successful candidates will provide research assistance in person and virtually in a major academic library that serves a world-class research university. This position is a great opportunity to supplement your graduate studies with experiential learning.
- Provide research assistance at the Norlin Library Research Desk
- Staff the Libraries’ chat reference service
- Attend trainings, workshops, and meetings
- Participate in special project work with Research Desk Apprentice supervisor
- Explore other opportunities for professional development based on interest
500 total hours over 40 weeks (approx 12 hrs/week), $19/hr
Additional Info & Requirements
- Currently enrolled as a library & information science graduate student for the duration of the apprenticeship.
- A strong customer service orientation and a desire to provide high quality research assistance.
- Interest in pursuing a career in academic librarianship.
This program begins in mid August 2018 and runs through May 2019. The Research Desk Apprentice is expected to complete approximately 12 hours per week, covering nights and weekends, for a total of about 500 hours over CU’s academic year 2018-2019. The Apprentice will be paid $19/hr. For full consideration, please apply by July 15, 2018. A course schedule providing proof of enrollment in a library science graduate program is required at the time of hire and in January 2019.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Send application materials with “Research Desk Apprenticeship Application” in the subject line to Megan.Welsh@colorado.edu.