REPORTS TO: Director
This position provides paraprofessional reference service to students, faculty and staff and coordinates fulfillment of incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responds to student, faculty and staff inquiries regarding use of library resources.
- Completes all tasks associated with interlibrary loan.
- Develops working knowledge of integrated library systems.
- Participates in operation of the circulation desk and maintenance of library reading room.
- Shelves materials and maintains order of reading room and stacks.
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of online research guides.
- Provides instruction or library tours to classes as needed.
- Troubleshoots library equipment, software and access problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree and one year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of basic library resources.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse students, staff and public.
- Ability to work flexible hours covering evening and Sunday shifts.
- Must be reliable, prompt, and courteous.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a cooperative, contributive manner.
- One year library experience.
Part-time evening position averaging 25 to 28 hours per week. Anticipated academic year schedule of 28 hours per week is Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. and Monday through Thursday 3:00 p.m.– 8:00 p.m. Summer schedule is 25 hours per week, Monday through Friday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Between semesters schedule is 25 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Hourly wage will be commensurate with the applicant’s education and experience with a choice of retirement programs—IPER (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Complete online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment including a cover letter.
- Submit online application and all required materials by the deadline.
Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you are in need of any special accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Working conditions: Requires skills for succeeding in an office environment, using technology. Requires good hand-eye coordinator including visual acuity to use a keyboard and read technical information; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp.
Work is performed in an office setting. Sit, stand, bend, lift and move intermittently during working hours. During course of day, interact with student, faculty and staff in person, by telephone and computers.
Hawkeye Community College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; political affiliation; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by Iowa Code §§ 216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C. §§ 1681-1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.). Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: John Clopton (Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for Employees) or Nancy Henderson (Title IX Coordinator for Students), Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015, telephone 319-296-4405, email: equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312/730-1560, fax 312/730-1576.