The Nielsen Library at Adams State University is seeking an enthusiastic Electronic Resources &
Discovery Librarian to manage our e-resources. The successful candidate will use his or her
knowledge of discovery, electronic resource organization, and management to ensure access to
Nielsen Library’s full suite of information. This position will also participate in managing
way-finding resources such as LibGuides, the library website, and social media.
Newly degreed professionals (professional degree as of January 2019) are particularly encouraged
to apply for this position.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
● Develop and manage the library website, including the Discovery Layer
● Manage print, microfilm and electronic serials
● Manage electronic resources, including: EBSCOhost, ProQuest, and other products
● Maintain accurate holdings and access points
● Evaluate licenses in concert with the Purchasing department
● Serve as a liaison with multiple academic departments for resource development, course integrated instruction, and information research consultation
● Collaborate with other units in the library and campus on the development and delivery of student education and training for the Pathways Undergraduate Curriculum ePortfolio component
● Collect and compile statistics
● Participate in the periodic assessment of collections and resources
● Draft and implement departmental policies
● Participate in library and departmental planning, marketing, and outreach
● Provide reference service in-house and electronically
● Participate in library, campus, statewide, and regional library committees
● Evening and weekend shifts may be required
Candidates should be able to demonstrate that they have experience in project planning, a
passion for data, successful team collaboration, and customer service.
The library and campus offers access to a mentoring program, professional development
opportunities, and the opportunity to develop experience with all aspects of a small academic
library’s programming and operations.
● ALA accredited MLS degree or equivalent at time of hire
● Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
● Attention to detail
● Demonstrated experience with project management
● Academic library experience
● Familiarity with electronic resource management and discovery services
● Experience working with diverse communities and evidence of valuing equity, treating
cultural and linguistic diversity as assets, and promoting inclusiveness
● Background in data management
● Demonstrated success in team collaboration
Departmental and Campus Information:
The Nielsen Library supports all academic activities at Adams State University through creative stewardship and development of information resources, academic programming, welcoming and supportive learning spaces, and collaborations with students, faculty, staff, and community members. The Library is a Student Success oriented facility comprising Library Services as well as several Student Support offices including general advising, career and community engagement services, TRiO, academic tutoring and testing, and other academic success programs. ASU has been conducting an extensive review and redesign of its undergraduate curriculum and the Library is playing a critical role in this process. The Electronic Resource & Discovery Librarian will play a critical role in the Nielsen Library’s ongoing role in the new curriculum.
Located in the market town of Alamosa, Colorado, Adams State University is a state-supported Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Alamosa lies in the center of the vast San Luis Valley and the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area (http://sdcnha.org/wp/). Alamosa is located approximately 3.5 hours from Denver, 1.5 hours from Taos, NM and 2.5 hours from Santa Fe, NM.
The university is dedicated to fostering Inclusive Excellence, the recognition that the university’s success depends on valuing, engaging, and including the rich diversity of students, staff, faculty, and administrators. Given the university’s mission and student body composition, the department is actively seeking qualified applicants who have experiences, skills, and/or personal attributes that reflect perspectives that can further broaden our students’ educational experience. We will give preference to qualified applicants with experience in ethnically diverse settings, who possess varied language skills, a record of research and/or service that supports diverse communities, or a record of supporting a student population that includes historically underrepresented groups and other at-risk populations. Additional information about the university and the Nielsen Library may
be found at http://www.adams.edu
Candidates should electronically submit the following materials together:
● A cover letter. Candidates should address how they believe they match the qualifications and duties of the position, how they would work in a multicultural university setting, and how they would contribute to the mission and vision of Adams State University.
● A curriculum vitae or resume
● Name, title, and contact information for three professional references
● Transcripts of academic degrees as verification -- these can be unofficial or official. Official transcripts will be required upon hiring
Send application materials electronically as PDFs to:
Chair, Electronic Resources & Discovery Librarian Search
Please use “Adams State University ER&D Librarian application” as your subject line for the email.