POSITION DESCRIPTION: This is a unique opportunity for a proven, visionary leader to have a significant impact on an exceptional library district and community. Under the general direction of the Board of Trustees, the Library Director is responsible for the planning, implementation, supervision and evaluation of all library services and programs. The ideal candidate will be a library champion capable of inspiring and advocating for an engaged community and a committed library staff; a relationship builder and effective communicator able to serve as the face of the libraries; a proven administrator capable of implementing a strategic plan and leading the charge toward new service frontiers; and a collaborative, trustworthy, and empathetic manager with a strong work ethic who can support a high-performing team with respect and openness.
KEY OPPORTUNITIES: To continue to transform the Library to meet changing user needs including expanding the innovative uses of the 970West Production Studio; take on the challenge of building a new branch location from the ground up that will make a lasting impact on our community; support and promote organizational values including innovation, trust, staff participation and team management; and continue outstanding levels of service and effective resource sharing.
Vision and Mission
● With the Board of Trustees, develops a vision for the library and successfully implements change when
● Directs the development and implementation of a long-range strategic plan in concert with staff, Board of
Trustees, and community.
● Furnishes sufficient information to the board so that it may review and adopt short- and long-range plans.
Policy and General Administration
● Works in conjunction with the Board of Trustees to develop and implement library policies governing the
operations of the library.
● Initiates the preparation and presentation of policies for Board approval, as required.
● Prepares and presents an annual budget keyed to previously adopted plans.
● Reviews policies every three years and recommends revisions for adoption by the board.
● Submits reports and recommendations to the board in sufficient time so that board trustees can review
and prepare prior to meetings.
● Keeps members of the board up-to-date monthly about library business and library activities.
● Seeks advanced knowledge of new developments in library services and trends and keeps the board
updated, explaining their applicability to our library.
● Ensures that the buildings, grounds, and collections are kept in a neat and orderly manner to reflect
standards set by the board.
● Identifies the standards of excellence for all operations.
● Oversees the orientation of new trustees.
● Serves as a resource for trustee activity.
● Ensures the library attracts, retains, and develops people to maximize the collective skills of the
● Models a style of leadership that creates an atmosphere of cooperation and positive, open
communication among staff members.
● Ensures proper management of all personnel, including evaluation practices and termination procedures.
● Embraces and actively encourages a climate of diversity.
● Oversees the development of a staff development plan including providing the opportunity for growth and
knowledge for all employees through workshops and in-service education.
● Ensures that the library is operated efficiently and effectively.
● Recommends improvements in working conditions, salary, and fringe benefits to the board.
● Ensures that there is a climate of cooperation and positive, open communication among staff.
● Oversees the development of a competitive compensation and benefits package including the financial
aspects of employee termination.
● Retains primary responsibility and oversight for organizational budgets as well as all revenues and
● Retains primary responsibility and oversight for library district's indebtedness.
● Ensures that library funds are expended in a manner that reflects the library’s goals and is within the
budget authorized by the Board of Trustees.
● Ensures financial records are kept as prescribed by law and generally accepted rules of accountancy.
● Oversees that new revenue sources and collaborations with other organizations and profit-centered
approaches to services within the business community are sought.
● While not preparing the reports, ensures that reports of financial status are provided for monthly board
● Ensures that appropriate public, private, and library-developed fiscal resources are sought with
● Ensures purchasing practices provide the best products and services at the best price and in a timely
Politics and Influence; Community Relations
● Acts as the primary spokesperson on appropriate and relevant topics, and delegates day-to-day public
information dissemination to the Communications Manager and others.
● Ensures the library is successful in public relations and fundraising.
● Represents the library as a member of professional organizations of librarians and libraries, and in
● Ensures an effective press and media campaign is waged.
● Maintains a presence in the community ensuring the success of the library’s partnerships and other
o Makes appearances before the Mesa County Board of County Commissioners as required.
o Possesses strong public relations and library marketing skills; understands the value of
networking and community building with a broad range of citizens, cultural groups and
Leads through change and adversity, makes the tough call when needed, builds consensus when appropriate, motivates and encourages others.
Decision Making / Judgment
Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
Integrity / Ethics
Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, and conveys good news and bad.
Provides feedback and coaching, rewards hard work and risk taking, takes mentoring role, challenges and develops employees, accepts mistakes, provides visibility/opportunity.
Seeks out and accepts feedback, is a proactive learner, takes on tough assignments to improve skills, keeps knowledge and skills up-to-date, turns mistakes into learning opportunities. Continue developing as a manager and learning about business management as well as non-profit management through informal means (self-development) and formal means (training classes).
LIBRARY CORE COMPETENCIES
Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
Adaptability / Flexibility
Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
Operates within the organization's formal and informal structures, builds allies and relationships across departments, uses allies to build consensus and create results, is appropriately diplomatic, understands others' roles and perspectives, can sell projects and ideas across the organization.
Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
● Excellent people skills with demonstrated experience in creating an environment of open and honest
● Effective communication skills both verbal and written; a good listener, effective public speaker, and a
clear and spare writer.
● Knowledge of and ability to effectively apply the principles and practices of library science.
● Understands the value of networking and community building within a broad range of citizens, cultural
groups, and community organizations.
● Ability to lead a team as well as to work well on a team.
● An organized person.
● Strong management skills; demonstrated decision-making ability; a proven leader.
● Knowledgeable in financial matters and able to develop and manage budgetary and financial information;
able to do financial planning.
● The necessary computer acumen.
● Knowledge and current awareness of library principles, practices, procedures, methods, materials, and
● Knowledge of legal and political issues affecting public libraries
● Knowledge of best practices in leadership, public libraries, accounting, human resource management
● Ability to take initiative, be proactive with staff, community, and trustees
● Ability to set clear objectives with measurable outcomes
● Ability to maintain objectivity and handle controversies with discretion and tact
Ability to maneuver about the library in a timely fashion
Ability to infrequently lift and carry up to 25 pounds with occasional standing, reaching stooping, bending, and climbing onto a step stool or ladder
Read a minimum print size equal to 10 point Times New Roman font
Work in an office environment
Sustained posture in a seated position for prolonged periods of time
GRADE: 36 FLSA: Exempt FTE: 1.0
LOCATION: The Grand Valley enjoys an array of cultural events, performing arts, museums and is home to Colorado Mesa University. The area has the awe-inspiring natural beauty and dramatic red rock landscape of the Colorado National Monument; exhilarating outdoor adventures including hiking, camping or skiing on the Grand Mesa; hundreds of miles of world-class mountain biking trails such as the Kokopelli Trail; and the Valley is home to more than 20 wineries and vineyards that serve up some of Colorado’s best wines. While located in Mesa County, the Mesa County Public Library District is a distinct entity separate from Mesa County government. Mesa County Libraries has 8 locations spread across Mesa County which is home to more than 150,000 people in 15 communities. The largest of these is Grand Junction, followed by Fruita and Palisade. Mesa County Libraries is the largest cultural institution in the county and provides specialized library services, resources, computers, books, audio and video media, literacy classes, and many other programs. Our mission is to enrich lives and build community through opportunities to learn, discover, create and connect.
Visit our website at https://mesacountylibraries.org and Jobs section. Search is open until position is filled; applications received prior to Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. will be considered. Mesa County Public Library District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. Successful applicant must pass a post-offer/pre-employment criminal background, national sex offender and department of motor vehicle check.