General Position Description
Teen Services Librarian to ensure effective library services for all youth and more specifically to students in middle and high school. Manage collection, programming, and budgets allocated to the department. Plan, coordinate, and perform teen programming and outreach activities. Monitor performance to ensure that activities meet department and BRLD standards and objectives. Play a lead role in advocating teen services and actively serve as liaison with schools and other community organizations. Work closely with Children’s Librarian to coordinate services and/or assist with activities. Assist with library day-to-day operations by working at the circulation desk and/or checking-in items.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
Any of the following duties may be performed.
- Plan, coordinate, and lead activities for teen patrons.
- Monitor the selection of materials for the teen collection. Oversee the maintenance of collections through periodic review and discard of worn or non-circulating materials.
- Promote collections and activities to teens through a variety of media such as displays, readers’ advisory materials, blog and social media posts, and flyers.
- Coordinate with school librarians on programs and the promotion of library resources.
- Perform outreach activities with schools, parent groups, and local organizations to promote library services and resources. Collaborate with community organizations on programming or other activities.
- Work closely with the Children’s Librarian to plan and coordinate activities and services. Assist with children’s programs as needed.
- Oversee Teen Services Department budget. Assist in the preparation of the annual budget as requested, as it relates to the Teen Services Department.
- Help with the day-to-day operations of the library by working at the circulation desk, checking in items, and/or other tasks as assigned.
- Assist patrons in the use of library collections through reference interviews, reference and literature searches, and instruction in the use of computer software. Maintain current knowledge of library materials, resources, and services.
- Oversee teen area to ensure a welcoming environment and that the space supports a variety of uses.
- Perform administrative record keeping and reporting as assigned.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree in Library Science
- Professional: 2 years
- Library: 2 years
- Spanish is preferred but not required
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Library experience must include 2 years minimum as a teen librarian.
Ann Scott, Director, 970.927.4311 x8; firstname.lastname@example.org
Send resume with cover letter, and three professional references to:
Ann Scott, Director