The Lyons Regional Library Board of Directors seeks an enthusiastic, visionary, community-oriented leader as its next Library Director. This individual will have the unique opportunity of serving a vibrant community and leading the Library through a period of transition and expansion into a brand new facility, anticipated to open in the summer of 2019.
Our independent regional library district, located halfway between Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park, is a hip little hotbed of music, art, award-winning parks, excellent schools, festivals large and small, and outdoor recreation. The Lyons Regional Library District is looking for a new director to love Lyons and for Lyons to fall in love with, too.
We are a small district with a big heart. Our patrons are eclectic, involved and passionate about community. Our staff is an enthusiastic team of creative and dedicated professionals.
Under the direction of the Lyons Regional Library District Board of Trustees, the Library Director is the chief executive and financial officer of the library and is responsible for all functions related to the operation of the library and the maintenance of the facility. The Director plans, directs, and promotes the activities and operation of the library, provides leadership, acts as the library's primary public representative, and leads the library through a transition to a new facility and expanded role in the community. As the leader of a small library team, the Director will also share in daily operational tasks.
Additional Info & Requirements
Finalist candidates should anticipate in-person interviews occurring the second week of January 2019.
The LRLD is proud to be an equal-opportunity, non-discriminatory employer.
- Common sense
- Decision-making ability
- People skills
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Three-to-five years of progressively responsible public library experience, including management, budget, administration, and supervision.
- Knowledge of public library services and operations, and of library collections.
- Proficiency with computers and other relevant library technology.
- Ability to work some evenings and some Saturdays.
- Must have (or be eligible for within 30 days) a valid Colorado Driver’s license.
Preferred Skills & Experience
Demonstrated success with any of the below:
- Library facility management.
- Recruiting, training, and supervising staff and/or volunteers.
- Annual Reports
- Carrying out long term goals.
- Advocacy activities for the library including presentations, development of partnerships, media communications, and representation of the Library at community functions and conferences.
- Program development.
- AspenCat or similar consortium, QuickBooks, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Drobox, Google Drive, social media.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, board members, other governmental officials, organizations, professional peers, Friends groups, foundations, and the public.
- Ability to work with a diverse socio-economic population.
- Spanish language skills.
This position is paid an annual salary of $50,000-60,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits, with 10 paid holidays and 20 days of combined vacation + sick time.
Description of the District
The Greater Lyons Area has a population of approx. 5000, with 2000 of those residing in the municipality of the Town of Lyons itself. The District is funded through mill levy revenue and grants. Our area is known for its natural beauty, active arts and music scene, numerous outdoor recreational activities, and the famous red Lyons sandstone quarries. The population is comprised of artists and musicians, science and technology-oriented professionals, small business owners, seniors, long-time farmers, ranchers, quarry operators, and many young families. Severely impacted by a flood in 2013, the community has rallied to become even stronger. It is still engaged in numerous flood recovery projects, including bridges, roads, parks, and affordable housing. Nearby are two universities and a community college. Boulder, Longmont, and Rocky Mountain National Park are all just a 20-minute drive.
HR Contact Information
Lyons Regional Library District
Attention: Kathleen Crane, Board President
PO Box 619
Lyons, CO 80540
The application deadline is 6 pm MST November 27, 2018.
Check out the formal position description and application instructions here: https://lyons.colibraries.org/formal-job-description/