OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under limited supervision, to catalog library materials in all formats for the circulating and reference collections using nationally established standards, with an emphasis on original cataloging; to set in-house library cataloging policy and act as advisor and knowledge base for Boulder Public Library and Flatirons Library Consortium cataloging staff and all cataloging-related functions and processes; to manage special cataloging or processing projects and get them completed within specified timeframes; to aid the manager in strategic planning for the department; and to supervise the department in the absence of the manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides primarily original and some copy cataloging for all formats of library materials, using a thorough knowledge and understanding of nationally defined and developed guidelines and tools including, but not limited to: MARC coding, AACR2 and RDA cataloging rules, Dewey Decimal Classification System, Library of Congress subject headings, Library of Congress authority files, and Flatirons Library Consortium practices.
- Trains and oversees the work of department volunteers.
- Oversees in-house cataloging workflow, including: establishing and reinforcing cataloging processes based on national standards and consortium policies; investigating and implementing changes in cataloging processes based on evolving national standards; and, contributing to policy and decision-making for the consortium. Requires a thorough knowledge of current cataloging rules and procedures such as the Dewey Decimal system, AACR2 and RDA standards, MARC format, Library of Congress authorities, and on-line cataloging resources. Requires the ability to integrate new technologies and tools effectively. Continually evaluates all in-house cataloging procedures to maintain maximum quality and productivity, and advises the Resource Services Manager on best cataloging practices for the work group and the consortium.
- With guidance from the Resource Services Manager, develops logistics for specific cataloging or processing projects, sets reasonable timelines, prepares training materials, trains appropriate staff and volunteers, and manages projects through to completion within established deadlines.
- Keeps the Resource Services Manager apprised of any changes in cataloging-related rules or factors that would impact outsourced vendor cataloging and processing profiles and projects. Attends bi-monthly Flatiron Library Consortium cataloging meetings, and quarterly Collection Development Steering Committee meetings.
- Performs monthly and/or periodic batch-loading of catalog records from one or more e-resource vendors, and performs other database updating or clean-up maintenance tasks as needed. Updates or adjusts load tables as needed for batch-loaded records.
- Supports the Resource Services Manager in evaluating long-range cataloging needs and goals of the department. Acts as department head in the absence of the manager, directing staff, resolving issues, and overseeing proper application of all department policies and procedures.
- Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city.
- Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
- Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participates in professional trainings and development; and adheres to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
(1) TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Resource Services Manager
(2) TITLE(S) OF POSITION(S) OVER WHICH THIS POSITION HAS DIRECT SUPERVISION: None.
Additional Info & Requirements
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Masters in Library Science or equivalent experience. A minimum of three years original and copy cataloging experience. Demonstrated knowledge of the Dewey Decimal Classification System, Library of Congress subject headings and authorities, the MARC format, and AACR2 and RDA cataloging rules. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with demonstrated skill in conflict resolution and problem solving. Excellent interpersonal and management skills. Proficiency in working with integrated library systems, including skills in searching and troubleshooting. Must have and maintain acceptable background information, including criminal conviction history.
- Technical Knowledge and Skill: The ideal candidate demonstrates a high level of job knowledge and skill, sufficient to share expertise and provide guidance for the cataloging and processing functions of the work group.
- Time and Priority Management: The ideal candidate maximizes efficient use of time, plans and organizes tasks and projects effectively, distinguishes between critical and less pressing needs, and eliminates obstacles or unproductive practices. Maintains vision and awareness of the time-sensitive nature of work group output.
- Workflow Management: The ideal candidate monitors applicable workflows, measures collective and individual accuracy and productivity, balances and clearly communicates expectations and responsibility, and seeks feedback for processes and performance.
- Equitability: The ideal candidate treats volunteers, staff and peers with integrity and fairness; promotes and provides opportunities for honest interactions and discussions; does not play favorites; builds, encourages, values and maintains high levels of trust.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Hears and understands the unspoken as well as the partially spoken thoughts, feelings and concerns of others; relates appropriately to a wide variety of people of diverse backgrounds even in high-conflict situations.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Experience in collection development and maintenance. Experience working with Innovative Interfaces integrated library systems. Multi-lingual. Basic familiarity with principles of linked data for libraries as the future alternative to the MARC format; demonstrated interest in advancements in the library field in general, and the specialty of cataloging in particular.
WORKING CONDITIONS - Required Physical and Mental Effort, and Environmental Conditions:
Physical and Mental Effort: A combination of primarily sedentary and with some active physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, and pushing carts filled with materials; walking and standing; sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permits the employee to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate computer equipment and other office equipment. Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to work in an office setting. Work may include extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions.
Work Environment: Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment. Works in a setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
Machines and equipment used include, but are not limited to the following: Frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephones, copy/fax machines, printers, and barcode scanners.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive.
Please apply at the City of Boulder, Colorado website: https://bouldercolorado.gov/human-resources/city-jobs