In this role, you will play an essential role in furthering the University Libraries’ mission by supporting and communicating the resources, services, and achievements of the Libraries. You will develop, support, and help coordinate the Libraries’ communications and marketing materials and special projects, working collaboratively with Outreach, Web Governance, and the Communications Working Group to promote and advance our Libraries to students, faculty, and the larger community.
The Libraries Communications Specialist is a full-time university staff position, reporting to the Communications Manager in the Administration Department of the University Libraries.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Research, write, and edit timely news stories for web publications, mailings, news stories and media releases.
- Interview students, alumni, faculty, researchers, and friends of the Libraries for content.
- Help maintain and develop key sections of the University Libraries website.
- Develop and create content to support the mission of the Libraries for social media.
- Assist in coordination of the Libraries internal newsletter and annual publication.
- Support multimedia projects, such a short videos, podcast intros and outros, and the adaptation of online exhibits.
Additional Info & Requirements
What we require:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of two years professional communications experience.
- At least one year of experience communicating through social media in a professional setting.
- At least one year of professional experience using Adobe Creative Suite.
What you will need:
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of the University Libraries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Solid knowledge of marketing concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of design and editing tools, such as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Lightroom
- Advanced knowledge of effective use of multiple social media platforms in a professional setting.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, sharing responsibility or taking leadership of parts of a project as appropriate and responding well to feedback.
- Expert ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt to changing priorities
- Manage and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to cultivate and advocate for a culture of diversity, inclusion, and respect.
What we would like you to have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Public Relations/Advertising, or in a related discipline.
- Two years of copy writing and social media engagement experience.
- Demonstrated ability to write news releases and stories, social media, and other strategic messages for a variety of platforms.
The University of Colorado Boulder Libraries are a dynamic partner in creating, disseminating, and advancing scholarship. We inspire learning, research, and discovery by connecting knowledge, information, and people.
We are the heart of higher education, providing essential scholarly resources, user-centered services, and inclusive spaces to the University, local, and global communities.
Boulder Campus Human Resource
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
- Please also submit:
- A sample of your writing, preferably already published online. It can be a news story, copy-writing piece, or website. Please attach as a PDF, including its intended audience and published URL, if applicable.
- A sample of a social media post via a direct link.
NOTE: The application form will require both a PDF (writing sample) and a link (social media post).
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by January 1, 2019 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.