Nature of Work:
The South Carolina State Library is seeking a creative, detail-oriented person with excellent customer service skills for the Director of Talking Book Services position. This position oversees the Talking Books Services Department, under the division of Statewide Development, comprised of library staff responsible for the development and execution of statewide library service programs for persons with qualifying disabilities.
Examples of Work:
The Director of Talking Book services will conduct a range of tasks with responsibilities which include:
- Plan a public service program of reader advisory, programming, and reference assistance to support the South Carolina State Library mission and goals, and the National Library Service.
- Act as liaison to the National Library Service and other national, regional, state, and local organizations.
- Provide outreach to community/special interest and library organizations serving client groups.
- Speak and exhibit at events and meetings to promote Talking Books Services.
- Provide direct services to customers of the Talking Book Services program through reader advisors, reference, and other duties.
- Provide special programs to reach different age groups of the current users of the service.
- Train and/or assist Inclusive Services staff and programs as needed.
- Supervise multiple employees.
- Participate in leadership team and agency wide efforts.
The South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state's libraries. SCSL bears responsibility for public library development, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies. The Agency is a locus for collaborative library endeavors of all kinds and works closely with the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science. Headquartered in downtown Columbia, SCSL is well-supported with state and federal funds. We serve the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. The State Library succeeds because of the people we employ: Passionate professionals who believe South Carolina library users deserve first-rate resources, services, and support. We are seeking talented, enthusiastic individuals who wish to join us in making a contribution to the development of great public libraries. The South Carolina State Library is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The State Library actively promotes professional development and learning opportunities for staff. Work takes place in an office environment. No physically demanding requirements, but ability to retrieve library materials is essential. Must vary daily work schedule as departmental operations dictate. Requires some travel; limited overnight or out-of-town travel.
- Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from consideration for employment.
- Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work/salary history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed in lieu of a completed state application to determine if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.
- Please include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Also include a sample of your professional writing of at least two pages, on any topic related to public library interests. Reference and background check will be conducted.
How to Apply:
Find a full position description and instructions for applying on the South Carolina State Library Jobs List: http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/jobs/director-talking-book-services