SUMMARY: Coordinate and maintain the day-to-day operations of a school and public library; to perform technical/clerical duties; assist users in locating the appropriate resources. Additional duties may include planning and implementing patron programs or supporting other staff as needed.
This is a part-time position. The hours are:
Monday - Thursday, 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm
One Saturday per month, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works to market the library by constantly straightening, shelving, maintaining face-out materials and informing patrons about programs, events and services available to them.
- Participate in the maintenance to displays and bulletin boards.
- Maintain the atmosphere that is conducive to learning and addresses issues that interfere with patron usage.
- Provide readers’ advisory services to all age levels.
- Work evening and weekend hours of operation as needed.
- Perform all daily library circulation operations and assist patrons with circulation services.
- With the guidance of a Librarian, delivers programs to audiences in the library.
- Assist with special library projects and outreach to the community.
- Rove the library to interact with patrons, provide assistance, and maintain both collections and public areas.
- Assist patrons in finding and using library resources, including reference materials, audiovisual equipment, computers, public access catalog, reference databases, and electronic resources.
- Provide assistance to teachers and students by locating materials and helping to complete special projects.
- Maintains the collection through shelf reading and shifting, cleaning books and weeding materials on a weekly basis.
- Process materials as needed and assist in the selection of materials in your assigned area.
- Responsible for first level technology support for patrons including both hardware and software.
- Uphold the patron’s rights embodied in the First Amendment of the constitution of the United States, the Colorado confidentiality Law and the Bill of Rights
JOB QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to research reference questions and serve the informational needs of patrons.
- Assist patrons with all aspects of circulation services.
- Assist with special library projects and public relations activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patrons to understand and fulfill their requests.
- Exhibit strong organizational skills.
- Possess strong library and reference skills.
- Accept and fulfill assigned responsibilities and duties.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint and able to train patrons in basic usage.
- Knowledge of online email accounts and able to teach patrons basic usage.
- Exhibit enthusiasm and vitality for the assigned position.
- Ability to communicate clearly with patrons, co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to follow library policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with computer applications.
- Ability to work with, maintain and troubleshoot problems with library equipment including computers, photocopiers, and audiovisual equipment.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
Education, certifications and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED
- 1 Years Library experience required
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Material and equipment directly used:
- EBook readers and other electronic devices
- Fax, copier, multi-line telephone system
- Audiovisual equipment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, use hands, fingers, handle, feet, or operate objects, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. Employee must communicate clearly and effectively; must understand and be understood. On rare occasions, the employee may be required to climb and balance. The employee must occasionally carry, pull, push, or lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision acuity and the ability to adjust his or her focus, allowing a broad field of vision. It is essential that the employee be physically able to operate a variety of computer and office equipment successfully in order to fulfill the essential functions of this position. The employee may occasionally need to be outside during outreach events.
Our Library is uniquely situated, in that it is both a public and school library. Our library is also a member (not branch) library of the High Plains Library District. We are proud of our small, tight-knit community. It is diverse ethnically, politically and economically and across generations.
To apply, please apply via our website, fortluptonco.gov. The position closes January 24, 2019. Here is a link to apply: