Director, Libraries & Historical Resources: Professional work directing activities of the Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources Department with an emphasis on customer service philosophy and delivery, providing information and educational opportunities, preservation of significant historical resources, community engagement, employee and leadership development through continuous learning and public relations The employee in this position will ensure that other team members participate in setting and achieving Departmental goals by contributing to strategic and operational planning, developing policies, participating in decision making and evaluating progress.
****Please click the link for a complete overview of this posting Director of Libraries - Position Overview
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Establishes the tone and service philosophy of the Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources.
- Maintains awareness of technological advances relating to services. Oversees the development and implementation of updates and enhancements to customer service through the utilization of technological innovations.
- Maintains awareness of operational best-practices to deliver exemplary public library and historical education/preservation services.
- Supports the services of Sarasota County Departments by remaining informed of opportunities for collaboration and providing information resources and technical expertise.
- Resolves escalated issues.
- Plans and implements public relations activities to ensure the Department mission and services are effectively represented to the public and internal customers.
- Builds and maintains active community partnerships with organizations, agencies and individuals.
- Acts as liaison with Advisory Boards, Foundations, Friends organizations and other support groups.
- Acts as chief spokesperson for the Department through media communications, participation in community events, speaking engagements, membership and participation in community services, civic and professional organizations. .
- Provides leadership and fosters a work environment that encourages employee participation and problem solving to achieve the vision and goals of Sarasota County Government.
- Facilitates organizational planning to ensure sustainable succession-management practices.
- Oversee the development of training programs for staff and volunteers. Allocates resources for staff development.
- Assigns, schedules and evaluates the performance of direct-report employees.
- Defines Department vision and mission and plans long and short-term strategies, programs, and practices to achieve established goals and objectives.
- Ensures that all elements of the Department and Division operations are in compliance with all core service, county, state, and federal policies and regulations.
- Prepares and presents periodic and special reports to the Board of County Commissioners, various advisory boards, and County Administration relating to Department operations and issues.
- Selects key professional personnel and oversees selection, training and evaluation of Department employees.
- Manages the Department’s capital resources. Ensures the appropriate construction, renovation, maintenance, location, and utilization of facilities.
- Develops, supports, controls, and administers the Libraries and Historical Resources annual budget.
- Acts as a steward of the Department’s collections, establishing the goals for the selection, control, dissemination, management, and disposition of Department resources.
- Seeks and develops alternative sources of funding, including grants and private/corporate donations to supplement county funding and enhance library services.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master’s Degree in library science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association. Eight (8) years progressively responsible professional experience in a public library system, six (6) years of supervisory/management experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in Historical Resources, including services, programs, and partnerships. Ability to develop and articulate the vision for Historical Resources and implement the activities to achieve the goals and objectives. Experience creating strategic partnerships to achieve specific community outcomes for history-related education and historical preservation of built and natural environment.
Job Competencies: Knowledge of the following: management principles and practices, principles in budget preparation and management, professional library science and administration, information literacy, archival practices, government operations, technical developments including automation and access. Ability to build consensus, negotiate agreements, and implement constructive change. Ability to develop work programs and plan and supervise the work of others at a macro level. Ability to deal with diverse elements simultaneously. Ability to coordinate activities with other county and community partners. Ability to write and speak effectively. Strong public-speaking skills. Ability to make decisions in a timely manner. Ability to effectively communicate the Department mission and philosophy to county authorities, public and private groups, agencies, and the general public. Use of standard office equipment and computers.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA
We believe in work life balance and have excellent benefits including a state pension, medical and dental insurance, generous leave plan, training programs, wellness programs including a fitness center.
Our mission is to be the most livable and best managed community in the country, providing quality services, programs and facilities that reflect the goals of the community. Our employees are committed to demonstrating our values: Respect, Accountability, Integrity, Quality, Teamwork and Trust.
Sarasota has world-famous beaches, over 80 parks and 100 golf courses, and is known as the cultural capital of Florida with museums of art, theaters, an aquarium, botanical gardens and the annual international film festival. Unsurpassed beauty, rich cultural offering, diverse educational opportunities, wide-ranging recreational possibilities make Sarasota a great place to live and work!
Sarasota County - One Team!
Tobacco/Drug Free Work Environment
Must apply online at https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADVANCE&cws=40&rid=4146 prior to April 5th, 2019.