Gain practical professional experience in a fast-paced academic library. The CU Boulder University Libraries is looking for a Ask a Librarian Desk Apprentice who will receive training in research competencies, and staff the research desk in Norlin Library during weekend shifts, Saturday (1-5pm) and Sunday (1-5pm) through mid-May; and one weekday (10am-4pm) and one Sunday (1-5pm) each week from mid-May through June 30, 2019. Upon completion of this work, the successful applicant may have the opportunity to continue this schedule throughout Summer 2019 and academic year 2019-2020 with the opportunity to participate in special projects under the mentorship of a faculty librarian and explore issues relevant to new academic librarians. The successful candidates will provide research assistance in person and virtually in a major academic library that serves a world-class research university. This position is a great opportunity to supplement your graduate studies with experiential learning.
- Provide research assistance at the Norlin Library Ask a Librarian Desk
- Staff the Libraries’ chat reference service
- Attend trainings, workshops, and meetings
- Participate in special project work with the Ask A Librarian Desk Apprentice supervisor
- Explore other opportunities for professional development based on interest
Additional Info & Requirements
- Currently enrolled as a library & information science graduate student for the duration of the apprenticeship.
- A strong customer service orientation and a desire to provide high quality research assistance.
- Interest in pursuing a career in academic librarianship.
This program begins in March/April 2019 and runs through June 2019 with the opportunity to continue through the summer and the 2019-2020 academic year. The Ask A Librarian Desk Apprentice is expected to complete between 16 and 20 hours per week through June 2019, covering one weekday and weekend shifts, for a total of about 124 hours through June 2019. The Apprentice will be paid $19/hr. For full consideration, please apply by March 29, 2019. Course schedules providing proof of enrollment in a library science graduate program for spring 2019 and summer or fall 2019 semesters/quarters are required at the time of hire.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Send application materials with “Ask a Librarian Apprenticeship Application” in the subject line to Megan.Welsh@colorado.edu.