Colorado State Library
Northeast Colorado, Southern Colorado, Western Colorado
Three .4 FTE grant-funded, temporary positions (one of three available) are available with the Colorado State Library's Growing Readers Together (GRT) initiative. The purpose of GRT is to partner with local public libraries and support them in offering enhanced early literacy services to informal child care providers- extended Family members, Friends and Neighbors (FFN). The regional early literacy specialists will develop and provide training to increase the use of early literacy best practices among both FFN providers and library staff members. Frequent travel across specific regions of the state as well as occasional travel to the Denver Metro area is expected. Positions are funded through December 31, 2019. Employment beyond December 31, 2019 is dependent upon the availability of additional funds.
- Conduct literature review on best practices in early literacy, adult education, serving FFN providers as well as Colorado's formal early care and education system.
- Develop and deliver interactive, two-part workshops to adult audiences comprised of both library staff and FFN providers. Workshops will be interactive and designed to:
- increase knowledge/ability of both FFN providers and library staff to support early literacy development
- increase understanding of state and local early childhood infrastructure
- support the establishment of local early literacy cohorts
- Coordinate training logistics, including date, time and location of workshops, advertising of workshops through outreach to local public libraries and FFN-serving organizations, etc.
- Select and procure early literacy materials and other supplies to be used during training and for distribution to attendees in coordination with the Growing Readers Together Coordinator, other CSL staff and local public libraries.
- Conduct a minimum of 10 interactive workshop sessions in at least 5 library systems across Colorado.
- Create systems and strategies for local communities to develop early literacy cohorts to extend learning beyond the life of the grant.
- Maintain close communication with Colorado State Library/Growing Readers Together staff designee to ensure the project maintains momentum and realizes its intended outcomes.
- Coordinate efforts with the other two regional early literacy specialists and the State Library to ensure consistency throughout Colorado.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience in designing and providing interactive, engaging workshops for diverse adult audiences
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work remotely while maintaining close communication with central office staff
- Experience in providing library-based programs for children aged birth – 5 and their caregivers
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite products (particularly Word and PowerPoint)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills- reading, writing, speaking
- Experience in implementing Growing Readers Together, Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries, or other Co State Library early literacy efforts
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Knowledge of Colorado's early childhood system
- Basic understanding of FFN providers
Colorado Driver's License Required for this position.
These positions work across regions of Colorado and the employees work from home.
Please submit a resume and fully complete an application at: