Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing direct customer-focused public service, implementing programs, or participating in targeted activities for a designated age group or service area.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all customer and staff interactions.
- Provides direct public services to customers as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment. Works combined circulation/service desks by performing all circulation functions.
- Performs reference, purchase or Interlibrary Loan requests, and readers’ advisory services.
- Proficient in the use of library meeting room software for reservations and event creation.
- Assist customers with advanced computer needs, job applications and resume formatting.
- Teaches classes on computer basics or other technology access topics to customers in small groups or one-on-one settings.
- Implements pre-designed programs.
- Promotes library services through tours, demonstrations, talks, and displays.
- Performs other support activities such as troubleshooting basic computer, office, and makerspace equipment, badge making, compiling data, and monitoring/ordering office supplies, and petty cash accountability.
- May act as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective operation of the library; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and are submitted as required.
- May act as a special resource provider in specific service areas, including targeted age groups, mobile library services, technology programming and support, makerspaces/creative commons equipment and activities, regional history, or collection management.
- Performs other support activities such as troubleshooting basic computer and office equipment, compiling data, and monitoring/ordering office supplies.
- If assigned to Mobile Library Services (West Region only): Safely drive, navigate and park Mobile Library; performs all functions in a manner safe to oneself, co-workers, and library patrons; adheres to Department of Transportation regulations and administrative requirements, including daily vehicle inspections and the immediate reporting and initiating of appropriate procedures with regards to maintenance, road conditions, security and safety concerns.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Provides support for specialized projects, services, programs and activities related to Services strategic goals and objectives.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current library services and trends.
- Ability to effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Knowledge of basic computer technology and applications and ability to effectively train others.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment and specialized library software and equipment contained in makerspaces.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Requires a minimum of one year of library experience or other public service experience
(library experience preferred).
- Requires basic experience with computer equipment and software applications.
- Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
- If assigned to Mobile Library Services, will be required to successfully complete Master Drive Training.
- If assigned to Mobile Library Services, must pass the background check conducted by Schriever AFB, in order to be issued a DBIDs (Defense Biometric Identification Data System) card for access to the base.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Ability to push a loaded book truck required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Additional Info & Requirements
1.Requires basic experience with computer equipment and software applications.
2. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
3. If assigned to Mobile Library Services, will be required to successfully complete Master Drive Training.
4. If assigned to Mobile Library Services, must pass the background check conducted by Schriever AFB, in order to be issued a DBIDs (Defense Biometric Identification Data System) card for access to the base.
Colorado Springs is located at the foot of Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain. The city is the second most populous city in the state of Colorado. Colorado Springs is a place that offers something for everyone; with great educational institutions, abundant sunshine year round, magnificent natural scenery, outdoor activities including hiking, bicycling, fishing and camping, the arts, theatre and charming communities.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6086.