As part of the Communications & Public Affairs Office (C&PA) Scientific Publishing section, this position is responsible for production and release of NREL publications. This position provides technical expertise to NREL and DOE clients on the preparation of electronic only (90%) and print (10%) publications according to the NREL prime contract, NREL Publications Policy and Procedures, and U.S. government printing rules and regulations. The position requires in-depth working knowledge of document production as it applies to electronic and print publishing. The successful applicant will convert native files (Word, PowerPoint, InDesign) into 508 compliant PDFs for distribution. They will update and release records using NREL's Publishing Hub software and be responsible for ensuring all policies and procedures were followed and all the proper documentation exists for the publications they release.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Experience with production and release of electronic and print publications.
- Strong knowledge of document production including experience producing PDFs from other file types.
- Independently reviews, formats, and manages fonts and other graphic elements of each NREL publication, printed and electronic.
- Works with clients to ensure we have the latest versions, exchanges proofs with clients and incorporates revisions back to the final publication.
- Ensures that all required paperwork and reviews, as outlined in the Publications Policy and Procedures, are completed before release.
- Maintains records in the publishing database with current data.
- Distributes printed products through established distribution systems including NREL Document Distribution, GPO Depository Program etc.
- Participates in strategic planning for Scientific Publishing including potential upgrades to software applications.
- Maintains current and historic publication records.
- Maintains physical and/or electronic files of each print job with all required paperwork, including copyright releases, and the original copy of the publication for reuse or legal inquiries.
- Reviews files for completeness; moves files to long-term records storage as appropriate.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Demonstrated success managing customer relationships.
- Good collaborative, team, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects of varying size and complexity.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, detail-oriented environment, while consistently maintaining a high-quality standard.
- Knowledge of 508 compliance standards.
- Working experience in a research or technical organization.
- Document, printing, library and/or records experience.
- Good technical understanding of Word and PDF creation.
- Database knowledge and experience in data entry.
- Good communicator; strong written/verbal communications including phone and email contacts.
- Detail oriented with good proofreading and spelling skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Experience with digital asset management best practices, digitization, bibliographic citations, and metadata.
- Experience with LaTeX and InDesign helpful but not required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an environmentally and economically sustainable energy future. With locations in Golden and Boulder, Colorado, and a satellite office in Washington, D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development, and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States.