This position oversees and is responsible for the operations of the Stephen H. Hart Research Center. The Research Center is one of the primary points of access to the History Colorado collection and is open to the public. The Research Center is starting a transformation to activate the space and collections and engage our users, we are looking for a Research Center Manager to implement this new vision for the Research Center and provide feedback and ideas along the way.
- Provides high levels of accountability and project management for Research Center operations, including department budget, scheduling, staffing support, process efficiencies, etc.
- Provides high levels of research services
- Locates, research, and process collections information to answer user questions, including media and reproduction requests
- Works with other staff on permanent collection projects
- Works with the Director of Collections Access to create, implement, and uphold policies and procedures
- Provides high level of outreach, collaboration, and programming
- Increases and improves collection access
- Supervises and guides the work of Research Center staff, volunteers, and interns
SUCCESSFULLY CANDIDATE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE:
- Proven application of customer service, public interaction component, and connecting collections to users
- Strong abilities to make decisions, be self-directing and work independently, and show motivation
- High level of proficiency with data and databases
- Excellent research skills using collections
- Comparable experience with large collections or high volumes of activity at a medium to large institution
- Proven experience in project management, meeting deadlines, and flexible multi-tasking in a fast-paced and sometimes ever-changing environment
- Innovative and/or motivated approaches for collections access and outreach, especially with workflow and logistics for work order systems
- Effective communication, public speaking, and cooperation with other museum staff
- Ability to maintain operations or make comparable decisions with or in the absence of a supervisor
- Ability to adapt strengths and experience to continue, change, or make new procedures and processes
- Experience working with rights and reproductions for historical collections.
Additional Info & Requirements
- A Minimum of 2 years of experience managing full time employees
- Motivation and ability to assume increasing levels of leadership and responsibility
- Knowledge of museum collections and preservation standards
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with collections management databases, metadata standards, and cataloging standards common to museums and archives, strong experience with ARGUS preferred.
- Knowledge of Colorado history and history of the American West
If you are considering a career opportunity with the goal of making a difference, consider joining the dedicated people of History Colorado. Our professionals inspire generations to find wonder and meaning in our past and to engage in creating a better Colorado. The History Colorado Center is a convenient location to downtown shopping, restaurants, and cultural facilities in the Golden Triangle district. In addition to a great location, we offer fantastic benefits including:
- Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including a PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA
- Defined Contribution Plan plus 401K and 457 plans
- Medical and dental health plans
- Employer supplemented Health Savings Account
- Paid life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- 10 paid holidays per year plus 12 hours of vacation and 6.66 hours of sick leave in a month
- Discounted RTD EcoPass (Denver Metro locations)
- BenefitHub state employee discount program
- CafeWell employee wellness program
- Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible schedules, training and more
HISTORY COLORADO has a strong commitment to diversity and cultural competence.
We welcome responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
THE STEPHEN H. HART RESEARCH CENTER
The Stephen H. Hart Research Center is part of the Curatorial Services & Collections Access division of History Colorado. Our mission is to collect, preserve, study, share, collaborate, stimulate appreciation for, and advance knowledge of Colorado history. We have 3 primary mechanisms that are demonstrated in our work that accomplish this mission: 1) provide and increase access to the collection, 2) provide high standards of collections stewardship for physical and intellectual care, and 3) making history matter.
History Colorado's artifacts and original documentary materials are central to our educational and interpretive mission. The collection currently comprises approximately 225,000 artifacts, 1,000,000+ photographs, and 9,000+ linear feet of textual and archival materials. History Colorado collects in three main areas: archives, artifacts, and photography. The artifact collection is further divided into three curatorial areas: Culture and Community, Art and Design, and Business & Industry. Please visit historycolorado.org for more information about the collection.
Thank you for your interest. Submit an on-line application by clicking the link below or submit a State of Colorado Application for Announced Vacancy and all supplemental questions according to the instructions provided below. Failure to submit a complete and timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that application materials are received by the appropriate Human Resources office before the closing date and time listed above.