POSITION DESCRIPTION: Forsyth Library seeks applications for a user-focused librarian with a strong commitment to quality teaching and assessment of learning outcomes to join our Teaching and Research Team. Primary responsibilities include teaching information/digital literacy sessions across the curriculum in support of general education and departmental programs, providing research assistance, and serving as a liaison to assigned academic programs. The librarian may teach credit-bearing courses for undergraduate or graduate students as part of the library’s mission to support research skills. This twelve-month entry-level faculty position requires scholarly activity and professional service as articulated in the Department Criteria for Librarian Faculty and is eligible for promotion in rank in accordance with the FHSU-AAUP Memorandum of Agreement. This position reports to the Dean and works as part of a team of professional librarians led by the Coordinator of Teaching and Research.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A master’s degree accredited by the American Library Association is required (e.g., MA, MLS, MLIS, MIS). Familiarity with best practices in instruction, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrated ability to contribute collegially and productively in a team environment, and the ability to work independently to complete goals and projects are also required. The successful candidate will have the potential to meet university promotion requirements for librarianship, scholarly activity and service.
- Work experience in an academic library, preferably providing direct service to users
- Knowledge of major academic research databases and library platforms
- Experience designing learning activities, delivering instruction, and measuring student learning outcomes
- Experience using online learning and library technologies (e.g., citation software, video conferencing, presentation tools, LibGuides, learning management systems, or software for tutorial development)
- Experience selecting library materials as part of collection development
- Knowledge of the scholarly communications cycle, open access publishing, open education resources, copyright, and creative commons licensing
- Experience working with online students and faculty
- Experience working with international students and faculty
- Fluency in a language other than English, especially Spanish or Mandarin.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, teach and assess outcomes for information/digital literacy sessions delivered on campus and online to various levels of students.
- Provide research assistance to online, international, and on-campus students, faculty, and staff as well as to community members who use Forsyth Library.
- Participate in the rotating on-call librarian schedule, which includes some evening and weekend hours.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop instructional materials and incorporate information/digital literacy skills into their courses.
- Create and maintain online instructional materials, such as tutorials and guides.
- Serve as a member of the Teaching and Research Team and participate in the planning, development, delivery, and assessment of learning activities and projects.
- Serve as a library liaison to assigned academic programs. Anticipated assignments are Communication Studies, Sociology, Criminal Justice, Political Science and Leadership Studies. Liaison activities include advanced instruction, collection development, and faculty consultation on research, open education resources, and scholarly communication.
- Provide specialized research consultation and support for international faculty and students, both on-campus and online.
RANK: Librarian I (non-tenure track)
APPOINTMENT DATE: July 2019
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.
ABOUT FORSYTH LIBRARY:
Forsyth Library fosters learning, scholarship, and enduring connections to history, culture, and heritage as the foundation for knowledge and skills that enrich academics, work, and life. We are the experts our learners and scholars seek first for the acquisition, discovery, application, creation, and curation of high quality information and research and for the preservation of university and regional history and heritage. The library has 18 full time staff members, and over 150 research databases. The library is also home to the university archives, unique special collections, rich digital collections (http://contentcat.fhsu.edu/), an institutional repository (http://scholars.fhsu.edu/) for research scholarship, and collections of state, federal and international government documents. More information is available on our web site (http://www.fhsu.edu/library).
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment of more than 15,500 (including 4,500+ on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of 4,000 students, and Virtual College enrollment at over 7,000). Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master's programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education
- College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
- Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
ABOUT HAYS, KS
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: MaryAlice Wade, Search Committee Chair
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a letter of application addressing the qualifications listed above, a current resume or curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three professional references able to speak to the candidate’s teaching and library qualifications. All application documents should be submitted in one PDF. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.