Since 1996, the Reading Buddies program has been offered by BoulderReads(BR) at the Boulder Public Library (BPL) and is a partnership with CU-Boulder academic departments. Reading Buddies is intended to promote a passion for reading and books in young children. Each Little Buddy is matched with a CU student, their Big Buddy, and spends 90 minutes a week engaging in reading, writing and literacy activities over the course of an academic semester. Reading Buddies is open to children in grades K-3. TheConsultant/Reading Buddies Coordinator provides primary coordination and supervision of the project.
Key Duties and Tasks
- Collaborate with BR, Youth services and BPL staff on program delivery
- Collaborate with partners to offer Reading Buddies offsite one day a week
- Collaborate with CU faculty, students and administrative contacts to ensure program success
- Book Reading Buddies meeting spaces in Youth Services at BPL Main
- Update Little Buddy applications in English and Spanish with program details and dates for current academic year
- Schedule Reading Buddies dates and times based on CU academic calendar, CU faculty needs and program requirements
- Update Big Buddy applications with program details and dates
- Email correspondence of any program needs or concerns to BR program manager
- Monitor and manage Reading Buddies email account
- In English and ideally, Spanish: Communicate with participants and partners in person, via email and telephone
- Maintain and manage waiting list of Little Buddies
- Present program to CU classes during first week of classes in fall and spring terms
- Meet with BR manager, BPL staff as needed
- Schedule and match Big Buddies and Little Buddies
- Conduct Big Buddy Training during first week of program each semester (fall and spring)
- Monitor and supervise Reading Buddies sessions to include 3X/week onsite in Children’s at BPL-Main from 4:15-6:15pm during each semester and one day per week at on offsite location
- Make photocopies and oversee supplies for Reading Buddies program
- Support pairs in creating an original story
- Each semester, coordinate book printing and binding w/CU Printing office so that all buddy pairs have a complete hard-copy and digital version of their original book by the final day of the program
- Schedule and conduct presentations of original stories on final day of program each semester
- Distribute electronic program evaluations and surveys to all participants in a timely manner
- Compile program feedback from surveys and submit to BR Manager
- Conduct program outreach
The Contractor’s services are anticipated to be provided between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020.
AMOUNT OF PAYMENTS TO CONTRACTOR
Aggregate Limits. Unless services in addition to those specified in Section 1 are subsequently agreed upon in writing, the total amount paid by the City to the Contractor pursuant to this Contract shall not exceed the sum of $24,000.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $24,000.00 /year
Additional Info & Requirements
- Experience delivering customer service in an educational, human service or library environment.
- Familiarity with literacy development and an understanding of the processes underlying proficient reading.
- Experience training and coaching adults or young adults
- Ability to communicate courteously and effectively to all customers and provide professional service to participants, colleagues and others in person, by telephone and via written communication.
- Experience and ability to work effectively and respectfully with people from a variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds, ages, and abilities. Proficient with desktop and mobile technology including software and applications to create multimedia presentations.
- Experience with data entry, management and electronic record-keeping.
- The ability and willingness to procure, pay for and maintain insurance as an independent contractor during the contract period, as required by the City of Boulder, including statutory State of Colorado Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability, General Liability, and Automobile Liability insurance coverage.
- Bilingual/biliterate, in English/Spanish.
- Experience collaborating with and supporting volunteers.
Boulder is a beautiful and inspiring city, with stunning landscapes and a vibrant community of about 100,000 residents. Boulder Public Library is well-loved and well-used, with over a million visitors in 2018. Learn more about Boulder.
Aspen Walker, email@example.com, 303-441-4140
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with any supporting documents you would like to share. Please include specific information about how you meet the requirements and desired qualifications for this independent contractor position, and why you are the best candidate for the job. Electronic submissions due by midnight on Sunday, June 2, 2019.