Librarian II – Reference/Instruction Librarian
The Dick Smith Library at Tarleton State University is seeking a Reference/Instruction Librarian. Reporting to the Manager for Research and Learning, this Librarian is responsible for providing reference and instruction services available through the Library. The position will be responsible for providing the following services:
- Assisting and instructing patrons in the use of library databases, reference tools, and other library equipment.
- Assisting in monitoring all aspects of virtual Reference services including reference questions, promoting the service, and maintain associated statistical data.
- Researching, synthesizing, interpreting and communicating concrete and abstract data to answer a multitude of questions from patrons ranging from Tarleton community to citizens of surrounding communities with varying degrees of understanding.
- Overseeing the operation of library services during evening and weekend hours, including circulation.
- Delivering instruction for lower-level courses and orientations in the use of library resources as assigned.
- Providing database training as part of library’s general instruction program open to all library patrons.
- Working with faculty to design library instruction programs, research assignments, and web-based materials in support of the curriculum.
- Creating and promoting web-based library instruction resources and services.
Requires a Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university and demonstrated knowledge of reference and instruction practices. Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Knowledge of automated library systems. Knowledge of basic metadata schemas, digital collection management software, security, and public safety issues. Excellent interpersonal, customer service, presentation, and research skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others. Ability to use basic print and electronic reference tools. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
This is a twelve-month, professional appointment with salary commensurate with experience plus benefits, including choice of group medical and retirement programs; approximately 14 state holidays; paid vacation and sick leave; tuition program; and no state or local income tax.
Desired start date is August 3, 2019. Applications accepted only online at https://www.tarleton.edu/jobs/
Within the online application, candidates will submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references. Full job listing is available at: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TARLETON_External/job/Stephenville-TARLETON/Librarian-I--Scholarly-Communication-Librarian_R-019330
Tarleton State University is a regional university of 13,000 students located in Stephenville, TX. The main campus is one-hour southwest of Fort Worth. A member of The Texas A&M University System, Tarleton is committed to academic excellence. Visit www.tarleton.edu for further information.
Males, age 18 through 25, must be properly registered with the Selective Service System to be eligible for hire. This position is designated as a security sensitive position and requires a satisfactory criminal history background check. Tarleton State University, an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity.