Position Summary: PPLD is seeking a librarian who passionately embraces technology, science, music, and art. This librarian has the ability to inspire imagination, draw out potential, and create a gathering place for the community at Library 21c. This librarian will also provide support with business reference inquiries. This position requires flexibility, collaboration, communication, and the ability to identify priorities and shift focus quickly. In order to help fulfill PPLD’s mission, we want a professional with a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor while working in an environment rich with diversity. We are searching for a bold individual who enjoys people.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Oversees the Library 21c Makerspaces. Maintains equipment and software for Makerspaces.
- Gauges level of service based on community interest and need and provides relevant and meaningful services and programs to the residents of Library 21c and northeastern El Paso County.
- Assists patrons in the makerspaces with a variety of machinery, including 3D printers, laser cutter, sewing and embroidery machines, etc.
- Assists patrons in the recording studio, coordinates scheduling and instruction. Is familiar with or can easily become familiar with recording software and the process of the recording and sound/video capture.
- Supports business reference inquiries by connecting patrons to reputable resources.
- Works with Creative Services to provide programs and services that are responsive to community needs while sparking interest, curiosity, and fun, inspiring children, teens, adults, and intergenerational audiences to embrace their interests and ignite their creativity. Provides and schedules instruction and programming, coordinates efforts with other staff and departments.
- Working with Creative Services and both Branch Managers, maintains and critically analyzes ongoing programs and services while introducing new offerings.
- Acts as a mentor by connecting patrons and staff with information, tools, and resources to pursue their passions.
- Serves as “person in charge” in the absence of the Branch Managers or Branch Supervisors by assuming a leadership role to address emergency situations, safety issues, and patron feedback.
- Seeks out and engages with community groups to promote the library and creative services.
- Provides library tours and presentations on library services.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with outside organizations and community groups.
- Works on the public service desks providing customer service, which can include electronic reference.
- Assists and instructs patrons on library resources.
- Works with the Branch Managers to oversee the makerspace and programming budgets for Library 21c. Supports staff with purchasing and makes recommendations for service and equipment improvements in the makerspaces and recording studio.
- Maintains confidentiality in all patron and staff interactions.
- Demonstrates an interest in and ability to use and troubleshoot technology of all kinds while helping patrons in the makerspaces and while on the public or circulation desk.
- Serves as an effective team member by providing leadership support to the library through collaborative problem solving and decision making.
- Demonstrates flexibility to change direction/priorities based on community need.
- Provides input on policy and procedure as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Provides support for specialized projects, services, programs and activities related to divisional strategic goals and objectives; serves on project teams or committees.
- May create desk schedules in coordination with the Library Manager.
- Keeps informed about library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of library trends, processes and best practices.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates commitment to principles of intellectual freedom and all aspects of customer diversity.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, Integration Library System along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
- Requires an MLS or MLIS degree.
- Requires a minimum of one year of library experience or other public service experience (library experience preferred).
- Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Position requires the ability to push a loaded book truck.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Colorado Springs is located at the foot of Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain. The city is the second most populous city in the state of Colorado. Colorado Springs is a place that offers something for everyone; with great educational institutions, abundant sunshine year round, magnificent natural scenery, outdoor activities including hiking, bicycling, fishing and camping, the arts, theatre and charming communities.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
- Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs on the Application tab
- Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
- A Cover Letter addressing why you would be a good fit for this position is required.
- If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333 Ext. 6086
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled with preference given to online applications received by July 1, 2019 @9:59 p.m. MDT