POSITION SUMMARY: Assists in developing, coordinating and administering a broad range of library services and manages the library in the absence of the Director.
CULTURAL VALUES and COMPETENCIES: The mission of every employee at the City of Trinidad is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life to all of our citizens. Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City’s core value of PRIDE which is delivered through Purpose, Responsibility, Integrity, Dependability and Excellence. As a City we embrace and celebrate diversity and equity for all citizens and recognize that it is a privilege to serve the citizens of Trinidad, Colorado. In addition to PRIDE, the Carnegie Public Library strives to uphold departmental values of Public Good, Adaptability, Compassion, Education and Service to All.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The City of Trinidad retains the right to modify or change the essential duties and additional functions of the job at any time without notice. Examples of duties are not intended to be all- inclusive or restrictive.)
· Plans and implements new library services and programs. Works to improve outcomes of existing library services.
· Searches for, writes, prepares and manages grants.
· Conducts community outreach to schools and other organizations to promote library services, maintains productive partnerships.
· Prepares library for opening and closing, provides service at circulation desk, conducts reference interviews, assists patrons as needed, and resolves patron issues.
· Manages the library website and social media.
· Assists with collection management to include weeding and ordering new materials.
· Collects and records fines and fees, counts daily deposit, assists Director with budgeting as needed.
· Monitors data entry and database maintenance. Uses data to evaluate library services.
· Schedules staffing of the library, reviews time cards.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direct supervision of the Library Director.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Acts in absence of the Library Director. Provides leadership to library staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
· Ability to analyze situations and challenges quickly to make independent decisions based on sound reasoning, good judgment, established procedures and proper interpretation of library policy.
· Ability to perform duties independently and with initiative.
· Ability to conduct training programs and instruct employees and patrons on new equipment and technology.
· Ability to work in a fast paced environment, while being able to maintain a professional and courteous attitude.
· Demonstrate strong organization skills and a willingness to be pro-active and accept new challenges.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written with knowledge of English writing, spelling and grammar.
· Ability to prioritize projects and daily workload.
· Knowledge of computers and programs, databases, and library operations and procedures.
· Ability to maintain effective working relations with superiors and subordinates.
· Ability to operate a personal computer and be familiar with current computer software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook). Ability to teach others about software and computer applications.
· Ability to use the Internet extensively to answer patron questions, troubleshoot problems.
· Ability to interact with the public, present information and respond to questions from the public.
· Ability to organize and prioritize work.
· Knowledge of library methods to include the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights.
· Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables.
· Ability to apply principles of library science.
· Ability to supervise.
· Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
· Associate's degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school, or two to three years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Field of study business, computer or office management.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
· Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or four to five years related library experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
· Must possess a valid current state-issued driver’s license and not be under suspension, revocation or denial nor have any prior alcohol related driving offenses within the last five years.
· Successful candidates must pass a background investigation and drug screen prior to employment.
· Successful candidates must pass a physical examination in accordance with job duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Duties are generally performed in an office setting with a controlled environment. This position may work evenings and/or weekends.
Additional Info & Requirements
All documents needed are listed at the website below. Please submit a complete application, cover letter and resume.
Trinidad is a rural community that's bubbling with opportunity and excitement. One blogger describes it well: "It’s a place where no one is a stranger, where art thrives and history runs deep, where waiters sing and the positive energy is so thick it’s hard not to get caught up in its flow.
External Job Ad