The Duluth Public Library is seeking a librarian to lead our efforts to improve the school readiness of Duluth's children. If you have a passion for early childhood services, enjoy leading a team and working with community partners, and want to take library services out into the community, then read on!
Additional Info & Requirements
Successful candidates for this position will have a passion for early childhood services. They will have knowledge and experience related to early literacy and early childhood development, including familiarity with ALA's Every Child Ready to Read program and 1000 Books Before Kindergarten. They will have experience collaborating with outside organizations and the knowledge to serve as an early childhood resource person for the rest of the library's youth services staff.
Key tasks include:
- Developing collaborations with public schools, community agencies, organizations, and institutions serving youth and families
- Designing, presenting, establishing and supporting a variety of library-sponsored literacy programs for youth, including special events, family engagement programs, teen parenting programs, class visits, library card registration, library instruction and storytimes
- Providing early literacy outreach visits in locations throughout the community
- Working closely with a Library Technician and AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer to coordinate and advance a community-wide early literacy initiative as described in the Duluth Public Library's strategic plan.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Provide direct library service to the public.
* A. Serve the public directly by staffing public service sites.
* B. Provide information to the public using a variety of sources, formats, technologies and equipment.
* C. Provide instruction to the public in the use of library resources.
D. Serve as a resource person in specialized areas of library service.
* E. Maintain professional growth and development through a variety of activities which may include continuing education courses, seminars, conferences, and participation in professional organizations.
2. Provide and promote library services, programs and collections.
A. Provide library outreach to the community.
* B. Conduct tours, classes and programs for adults, teenagers, and children.
* C. Review and recommend materials, technologies, services, and programs within designated budgets.
* D. Analyze circulation trends; withdraw worn, dated and/or damaged materials from the collection.
* E. Acquire, classify and catalog library materials.
3. Organize and direct the activities of assigned staff, volunteers and interns.
A. Assist in the selection of library staff.
B. Assist in training personnel.
C. Assign and schedule the work activities of designated personnel.
4. Assist in division or department functions as assigned.
A. Provide explanation of library policies and procedures to the public.
B. Participate in or lead committees and task forces.
* C. Maintain records necessary for statistical analysis.
D. Perform related tasks as assigned.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Human Resources, City of Duluth
411 West First St
Duluth, MN 55802