Albany County Public Library is seeking to hire an Assistant Library Director. This is a full-time, benefited position that will act as second in command and will serve first in command in the absence of the Library Director. Some weekend and evening hours will be required.
The Assistant Library Director is responsible for performing the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Library Director to prepare materials for Board meetings, including: agendas, reports, policy manual revisions, and annual budget recommendation.
- Guide library collection development and oversee library programs , helping to establish organization guidelines and supporting staff in implementing those guidelines.
- Provide professional advice on library issues, especially strategic direction, planning, budgeting, and policy to the board.
- Review and recommend policies; write, interpret, and enforce procedures; supervise appropriate follow up based on board’s direction; distribute policy updates to the public.
- Develop a specific understanding of the library’s financials, including authorizing use of approved budget, understanding funding sources, ensuring equitable distribution of resources to library departments, managing accounts and making projections.
- Supervise payroll and make recommendations on employee benefits.
- Actively and creatively solve problems related to funding complications and seek out cost-saving opportunities.
- Oversee maintenance for building and grounds.
- In collaboration with the Library Director, participate in project management on large-scale projects by allocating funds, monitoring expenses, and overseeing project activity.
- Develop a clear understanding of the financial assistance provided by the Albany County Public Library Foundation and the Friends of the Albany County Public Library and provide recommendations on best uses for this funding.
- Ensure that the library is a visible and valued part of the community through educational outreach on library services and programs.
- Build mutually beneficial relationships with active partners such as: the Laramie Garden Club, Friends of the Library book sale crew, and community groups who provide programming.
- Identify and maintain partnerships with local, regional, and state organizations through participation in community and professional groups.
- Ensure high staff morale by building a culture that encourages strategic teamwork through the use of shared resources and openness to change.
- Lead staff development opportunities based on training needs; actively seek ways to train and mentor staff; assist staff in finding professional development opportunities and create development plans for staff to gain necessary competencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience managing library collections and implementing public programming in a library setting.
- Master in Library Science;
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
- Three to five years of supervisory experience.
External Job Ad
Albany County Public Library is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We will conduct background investigations for the final candidate being considered for employment.